Woodnet Forums
Value of Walnut logs - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Value of Walnut logs (/showthread.php?tid=7353860)

Pages: 1 2

Value of Walnut logs - FrankAtl - 03-24-2020

I might have an opportunity to purchase these logs. I have two people who could pick them up and mill them for me so that shouldn't be a problem. The logs are between 12' and 16' long with the majority being 15" + in diameter. A few of the smaller ones look pretty useless. I know accurate pricing is tough to figure from a picture like this but what do you guys think would be a good price per log for the larger ones?

[Image: 49693707946_c3c15c5408_k.jpg]Walnut logs , on Flickr

RE: Value of Walnut logs - jteneyck - 03-24-2020

I've never paid for logs so I can't say what they would be worth.  But I have milled quite a few walnut logs and anything less than about 16" in diameter is not worth the effort if you only want heartwood.  As you can see, the amount of sapwood is about the same regardless of diameter, sometimes actually less on larger logs, so the yield on small diameter logs is terrible.  That nice big log on the right looks to be something other than walnut, which is too bad.  But if you don't mind sapwood, or you are looking to make live edge stuff, then it's all good.  If you know the diameter and lengths you can calculate the potential BF yield using online calculators.

If you do buy them and have them milled, you need a place to dry the lumber that's out of the sun. Expect at least 20% losses. I suspect in GA the old rule of thumb about 1 year/inch of thickness to air dry is probably about right.

John

RE: Value of Walnut logs - Arlin Eastman - 03-24-2020

Frank

We have had several bids on all the walnuts we have (There is a local sawmill just for walnuts that goes national) here on the property.  Two bids 1 for common walnut for boards and 2 for veneer walnut.  #1 never goes to high and I am thinking that is not more then $1900 you have there.  And that is including them cutting it down hauling it to the mill and some extra for profit.

So my guess to buy it no more then $700 since you will still have to pay for the milling and the person who is selling knows this cost, but not sure.

My BIL taken one in that was 14" x 12' and was only paid $120 for it.

RE: Value of Walnut logs - Stwood_ - 03-24-2020

There's only about 7-8 (8 would be squeezing it) there that is worth milling.
If I was buying, back in the day when I bought and milled, I would pay a dollar a foot for mill-able walnut.

RE: Value of Walnut logs - FrankAtl - 03-24-2020

Thanks guys. I can get them for $100 per log but I would have to buy the whole pile. Doesn't sound like it would be worth the trouble.

RE: Value of Walnut logs - Arlin Eastman - 03-24-2020

What is the value to you tho.  If you would really like and use the wood they get it.  Maybe he will go to $90 per log and tell him how much it cost for the milling??   Might help.

Also did you check how much it would cost to cut it up??

RE: Value of Walnut logs - packerguy® - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 04:48 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Thanks guys. I can get them for $100 per log but I would have to buy the whole pile. Doesn't sound like it would be worth the trouble.

A log that is 16" dia and 16' long is about 140 BF, walnut being less because of sap (unless youre down with that)

So of that pile, there is maybe 9 logs that fall in that category that is worth milling. So it sounds like he wants 2k for the pile....1200 BF of worthwhile stock, or $1.67 a BF as it sits in logs. 

He is higher than a kite.

Id say sure Id give you $100 a log for the 9, if you pay me $100 a log to take the other 11 off his hands.

If he would sell the 9, and you could get them for 40 cents a foot or less (about $50 a log) and you have a sawyer lined up, that would be worth it to me, and just air dry it.

RE: Value of Walnut logs - Wild Turkey - 03-25-2020

With unknown logs you have to factor in the “found metal” costs

I got a pair of nice hickory logs for free when they did some road work near my house

Three logs filled my 16’ tandem trailer — some 400 bf of wood

Would have been a really good deal except for three nails buried in them.
Sad

RE: Value of Walnut logs - jteneyck - 03-26-2020

(03-25-2020, 11:42 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: With unknown logs you have to factor in the “found metal” costs

I got a pair of nice hickory logs for free when they did some road work near my house

Three logs filled my 16’ tandem trailer — some 400 bf of wood

Would have been  a really good deal except for three nails buried in them.
Sad

Bandsaw blades are about $25 each.  Ruining 3 blades starts to ad up, but when you think that KD walnut is $6 - 10/BF you can afford to lose a few for good lumber.  And you'll ruin fewer if you use a metal detector.  The cheap HF one works pretty well; so far I have found every piece of metal and haven't ruined a band yet.  I'm sure I'm doomed now for having said that.  

As far as hickory lumber goes, it's about the most cantankerous stuff to work with.  Nice and hickory are not two words that go together for me.  

John

RE: Value of Walnut logs - EdL - 03-28-2020

Just finished up some laminate countertops with hickory edging and backsplash......rather obstinate stuff to work with.

Ed