Woodnet Forums
Drawer Bottom Plane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Drawer Bottom Plane (/showthread.php?tid=7354092)

Pages: 1 2

Drawer Bottom Plane - Scoony - 03-31-2020

So I am starting to plan a drawer bottom plane. I am wanting to make it in the traditional plow plane style with a steel skate and fixed fence. This will be used to plow the drawer bottom grooves and with be set for 1/4" groove. 1/4" deep, and 1/4" from the bottom edge. For the skate, I am probably going to use O1 steel in either in 3/32" or 1/8" thickness. 

The one thing I am not figuring out is the blade. LN makes blades for side escarpment planes, but I am not seeing a blade that would be suitable for what I need. Basically, I need a 1/4" wide tapered iron. The traditional plow plane blades will not work for what I am planning. 

Anyone here make a drawer bottom plane? how did you make it, what did you use for an iron? I have seen some simpler builds online, but I have some nice 1/4 sawn beech and would prefer to build it in a more traditional style.

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - Derek Cohen - 03-31-2020

Purchase a suitable blade off eBay. Plenty plough blades available.

I would not use a steel skate - unnecessary, and add more complications, such as an external fence. You can integrate the fence on a wooden body, and it is much simpler to make.

The easiest way to make a plane like this is to use, or copy, half of a matched T&G plane set.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - Philip1231 - 03-31-2020

Would something like this work:

Rob Cosman Drawer Bottom Plane

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - Scoony - 03-31-2020

Thanks Derek,

I do have a set of wooden match planes for thinner stock, and they cut a groove much thinner than 1/4". I am planning on modeling this plan from them. I think I want to add the steel skate more of a challenge and test if I want to continue making other planes. I have made two sets of hollows and rounds and really need to get back to finishing the other sizes I had planned.

Red Rose productions makes and sells wooden planes and offers one exactly like what I want to build. He has aleady answered some of my questions.

https://redrosereproductions.com/tools/Drawer-Bottom-Plane-p131416063

I have found a few blades on ebay. Many of the plow blades are numbered and I am wondering if they are numbered in 16th as in would a #4 be 4/16"? Did the English use a numbering system different from the USA?

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - Scoony - 03-31-2020

(03-31-2020, 08:35 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Would something like this work:

Rob Cosman Drawer Bottom Plane

Actually, it would work. I was watching his video on that plane, but never visited the his store site. It is not a tapered iron, but apparently it works fine in his planes.  Thanks

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - bandit571 - 03-31-2020

Mine was made back in '64.....1864, Cincinnati, OH.   G. Roseboom
[attachment=25551]
That I had to rehab a bit...
[attachment=25552]
New tote, new fence, new wedges to replace the broken, worn out ones..
Winkgrin
[attachment=25553]
There is a metal skate, though..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=25554]
That is original to the plane. 
[attachment=25555]
Seems to work fine..shavings curl out to one side, the wedge is shaped so it curls the shaving up and out to the right of the plane 
[attachment=25556]
The wedge is the tapered part, cutter/iron is flat....has a v groove in the back edge of the iron, as it rests on a matching knife edge on the end of the skate, that serves as a "frog".

Nowadays? I usually just use my Stanley No. 45, with a #12 cutter.   the Roseboom's long arms make clamping the drawer sides a bit tricky...and, there is no depth stop.  Other than when it bottoms out. 
[attachment=25557]
Original body is Beach....Walnut wedges seem to work better.  Fence is Ash.   Original screws for the fence to the arms were made before anyone decided to add a point to the screws being made.  
[attachment=25558]
Hope this helps..
Cool

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - Derek Cohen - 04-01-2020

Here is a simple plane by Matthew Kenney at FWW magazine. It works because it does not require any further adjustments ...

[Image: IMG_8946_web-1200x879.jpg]

That is what I would build. But I understand you wanting a challenge. This is what you want ...

[Image: d10f5e85a2047790b17f41eeaabbcb2f.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - wmickley - 04-01-2020

In the 18th century, a plane like you are describing was called a plough. A plane with multiple cutters and a movable fence was called a universal plough. Roubo shows both a simple plough (bouvet) and a "two piece plough"

I  made at least three ploughs 1975-1982 and I made one from an old knife, one from a file, and one forged from a screwdriver. Today I would buy an iron from Lie Nielsen. None of mine had an iron skate; they all had a "skate" that was an integral part of the body of the plane, which I would recommend.

I made both open mortise and closed mortise planes. In Hummel's book With Hammer in hand, only one plane out of fifty some illustrated has an open mortise: the plough. Here is an illustration of an open mortise plough from Roubo:

[Image: blogger-image--1311909890.jpg]

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - adamcherubini - 04-01-2020

(03-31-2020, 11:48 AM)Scoony Wrote: So I am starting to plan a drawer bottom plane. I am wanting to make it in the traditional plow plane style with a steel skate and fixed fence. This will be used to plow the drawer bottom grooves and with be set for 1/4" groove. 1/4" deep, and 1/4" from the bottom edge. For the skate, I am probably going to use O1 steel in either in 3/32" or 1/8" thickness. 

The one thing I am not figuring out is the blade. LN makes blades for side escarpment planes, but I am not seeing a blade that would be suitable for what I need. Basically, I need a 1/4" wide tapered iron. The traditional plow plane blades will not work for what I am planning. 

Anyone here make a drawer bottom plane? how did you make it, what did you use for an iron? I have seen some simpler builds online, but I have some nice 1/4 sawn beech and would prefer to build it in a more traditional style.

What you are describing is not a drawer bottom plane, but a grooving plane. What Bandit showed is not a drawer plane or a plow plane, but a flooring plane. The only tool I know of specialized for drawers is the drawer bottom fillester. It has a moving fence like a universal fillester (fixed to the sole with 2 fillester head screws). Its a 19th c tool as far as I know. I have at least 2 of them and love them. They are short, maybe 6-8 inches tops. I use them in lieu of a plow plane since I only ever seem to use my plows for 1/4" grooves, 1/4-3/4" in from an edge. I think you'd get more use out of it if you made it the traditional way. No arms to fiddle with or get in the way. Otherwise, just make a set of match planes (which I also love), and use the grooving plane for drawers (I did that for many years). But don't call it a drawer bottom plane.

RE: Drawer Bottom Plane - bandit571 - 04-01-2020

From last September's Labor Day Tractor Fest....
[attachment=25566]
Match set...T & G...$30 a piece ($60 for the set
No )
[attachment=25568]
IF they have the Fest this year, it was a Lion's Park, West Liberty, OH.    Used to be a yearly event.
Sad  You walk around a LOT, lots of farm tractors, a working saw mill that uses a wide belt drive from a Farmall's PTO side wheel.  and over a mile over vendors.   Some of my best rust hunts were down there....
Rolleyes 

We be splitting hairs here, about what name to call a plough plane....if'n it makes a groove, it is ploughing the wood, simple as can be.  All those other names were "selling points" by a maker.  
Cool 

As for me...
[attachment=25569]
A Stanley #45 works just fine...
Winkgrin