Woodnet Forums
Freezer unheated garage - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Freezer unheated garage (/showthread.php?tid=7354155)

Pages: 1 2 3

Freezer unheated garage - Cooler - 04-02-2020

I would like to get a small chest freezer.  The only feasible location for this is in my garage which is not heated and we often get single digit temperatures where I live.

Will this work?

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Cooler - 04-02-2020

I just went on line and I see some freezers labelled "garage-ready", so it seems I have my answer.

Cooler

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Robert Adams - 04-02-2020

Cold isn't the problem it's summer heat. The heat here in horrible nasty weather Crematoria (Texas) causes the units to run quite a bit more and have a shorter life.  

Good luck getting a freezer. They have been out of stock for weeks here.

RE: Freezer unheated garage - ajkoontz - 04-02-2020

(04-02-2020, 09:12 AM)Cooler Wrote: I would like to get a small chest freezer.  The only feasible location for this is in my garage which is not heated and we often get single digit temperatures where I live.

Will this work?

I've had one on my back porch in central Indiana for several years and no problems. There is plenty of info out there on why this is not ideal, or is generally a bad idea, but that's what we did and so far so good.

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Stwood_ - 04-02-2020

I don't see a problem with an unheated area for it to reside.
There is nothing in the compressor or lines to freeze.
And, being in a cold environment, it will/should run less.
Summer time, yes it will run more.

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Cooler - 04-02-2020

(04-02-2020, 02:22 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I don't see a problem with an unheated area for it to reside.
There is nothing in the compressor or lines to freeze.
And, being in a cold environment, it will/should run less.
Summer time, yes it will run more.

I just did an internet search and it seems that all the smaller units are sold out.  I was hoping to limit my shopping to once a month instead of weekly.  It was never a concern before, but the less often I go to the supermarket, the happier I am.

The same goes for Lowes/Home Depot.

Both are about 2 miles from my house (Lowes is only a few hundred yards if I had a helicopter), so I  never did any "planning", I would just run by and pick up what I needed. 

Now I am planning my purchases to limit the number of trips.  A pain in the butt.  Harbor Freight is 6 miles from my house so I am a little more careful (but it is just across the street from Starbucks so I would have a cup of coffee and then run into H-F.  But Starbucks is take-out only so that means planning for H-F too,.

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Stwood_ - 04-02-2020

(04-02-2020, 03:40 PM)Cooler Wrote: I just did an internet search and it seems that all the smaller units are sold out.  I was hoping to limit my shopping to once a month instead of weekly.  It was never a concern before, but the less often I go to the supermarket, the happier I am.

The same goes for Lowes/Home Depot.

Both are about 2 miles from my house (Lowes is only a few hundred yards if I had a helicopter), so I  never did any "planning", I would just run by and pick up what I needed. 

Now I am planning my purchases to limit the number of trips.  A pain in the butt.  Harbor Freight is 6 miles from my house so I am a little more careful (but it is just across the street from Starbucks so I would have a cup of coffee and then run into H-F.  But Starbucks is take-out only so that means planning for H-F too,.

Walmart carries small freezers. Have you checked your store?

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Turner52 - 04-02-2020

I have had one in mygarage for years. No problems. 30 miles north of Green Bay so it gets darn cold here sometimes

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Robert Adams - 04-02-2020

We do our main shopping trip once a month to Sams and a few other places. Basically we have what we need for the month other than stuff like milk. It's just the two of us and usually she is out of town (flight attendant). She has been on vacation since this started and she is down to one trip for next month. So we are going through more than usual.  I couldn't imagine the hassle of grocery shopping on a weekly basis.

I bought a case of the hotdogs and buns that sams sells in the Cafe as they are good affordable and frozen. Loaded up the fridge and converted my mini fridge in the shop to a freezer. Also got a case of the pretzels. Let them thaw out tear in half and put in the toaster and they come out very good. Also gave some to my neighbors and parents as they needed stuff to get by on until stocks came back up. 

My mini fridge had it's thermostat die and the replacement has a wider range of adjustment. So I just set it to full cold and the fridge side is now a freezer.  What you can do is pull the temp sensing bulb away from the coil just a hare and that will cause the fridge to run cooler with no permanent mods or adjustments.  

We have enough stuff to take us an easy 2 months. We made a trip to Sams and got a few things yesterday. Inventory is coming back in. Paper products were not an issue nor beef or pork. In fact the beef was very good with the short ribs being cut much thicker now. Chicken was a no go. I only plan on going out for milk and bread as needed or delivery's to my parents.

RE: Freezer unheated garage - Cooler - 04-03-2020

(04-02-2020, 06:30 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: We do our main shopping trip once a month to Sams and a few other places. Basically we have what we need for the month other than stuff like milk. It's just the two of us and usually she is out of town (flight attendant). She has been on vacation since this started and she is down to one trip for next month. So we are going through more than usual.  I couldn't imagine the hassle of grocery shopping on a weekly basis.

I bought a case of the hotdogs and buns that sams sells in the Cafe as they are good affordable and frozen. Loaded up the fridge and converted my mini fridge in the shop to a freezer. Also got a case of the pretzels. Let them thaw out tear in half and put in the toaster and they come out very good. Also gave some to my neighbors and parents as they needed stuff to get by on until stocks came back up. 

My mini fridge had it's thermostat die and the replacement has a wider range of adjustment. So I just set it to full cold and the fridge side is now a freezer.  What you can do is pull the temp sensing bulb away from the coil just a hare and that will cause the fridge to run cooler with no permanent mods or adjustments.  

We have enough stuff to take us an easy 2 months. We made a trip to Sams and got a few things yesterday. Inventory is coming back in. Paper products were not an issue nor beef or pork. In fact the beef was very good with the short ribs being cut much thicker now. Chicken was a no go. I only plan on going out for milk and bread as needed or delivery's to my parents.

I shopped the other day and produce was gone except of radishes. 

Milk and eggs were back in stock.  Not paper towels.  But shop towels are available.  I switched to microfiber cloths to replace most applications for paper towels, so I don't use much.  The microfiber is much better than paper towels in most instances. 

No chicken here either.  No ground beef or steaks.  Frozen chicken parts are available.  And they never ran out of ice cream.  Or onion soup.

So maybe a radish and ice cream sundae topped with onion soup?

Mostly I was able to fill my shopping list, but about half the items were substitutes.  I wanted sausage patties for breakfast sandwiches.  I ended up with ham slices.  I wanted chocolate coated raisins but ended up with chocolate coated cashews.

Someone please tell me why all the chewing gum was gone.  I don't get it.

Thanks for the replies.  I will look to see if freezers are available in other stores.