Woodnet Forums
How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. (/showthread.php?tid=7354175)

How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - photobug - 04-02-2020

I have a project with just a few boards short of what I need in Cherry.  I have found a few 8/4 boards I thought solved my needs but realized each time as I cut it, I realize based on the weight and density I have Alder not cherry in my hand.

I have the book Identifying Wood but can only see the rings on the end grain.  I think I need a better magnifying glass to make use of this technique.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - Stwood_ - 04-02-2020

I have both, and used both in projects.
If in doubt, check the knots, *if* your rough lumber has knots.
Alder knots will (usually) have a split in the knot.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - photobug - 04-02-2020

(04-02-2020, 08:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have both, and used both in projects.
If in doubt, check the knots, *if* your rough lumber has knots.
Alder knots will (usually) have a split in the knot.

What I have in cherry is so limited mostly clear as is much of my alder that is why I keep getting fulled.  Probably 60% of the wood I have in my house is shop and crawlspace is Alder.  I need to start building something so i have room to work in my shop.

My wife just found a 40x hand lens, I will go back to see if I can identify some rays and rings on the end grain.  I have a pretty good guess what the woods are but am being picky as this is the most elegant thing i will have created.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - MichaelMouse - 04-03-2020

(04-02-2020, 07:24 PM)photobug Wrote: I have the book Identifying Wood but can only see the rings on the end grain.  I think I need a better magnifying glass to make use of this technique.

Or use your olfactory system.  Cherry smells/tastes like - cherry.  Alder don't.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - Arlin Eastman - 04-03-2020

If I could suggest Mike or goes by PVW sells outstanding cherry and figured as well.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=124584

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - photobug - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 10:45 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If I could suggest Mike or goes by PVW sells outstanding cherry and figured as well.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/member.php?action=profile&uid=124584

Thanks for that.  Someone else suggested him but he had changed his screen name in 2016 and I was unable to find him.  Just sent him a PM, hopefully he gets back to me soon.  I did also have a call into Bell Hardwoods.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - farmerj111 - 04-06-2020

You can always use that alder to smoke some salmon
Yes

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - Latech15 - 04-06-2020

Density and weight are the easy way.  Cherry is much heavier than the alder.  Alder is really light weight.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - photobug - 04-07-2020

(04-06-2020, 04:36 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: You can always use that alder to smoke some salmon
Yes

My house is trimmed in alder.  Got lots of places to use it that is why I got ton around.

RE: How to tell Cherry apart from Alder. - photobug - 04-07-2020

(04-06-2020, 06:52 PM)Latech15 Wrote: Density and weight are the easy way.  Cherry is much heavier than the alder.  Alder is really light weight.

Yep I know, as soon as i cut a larger piece I know it is Alder in my hand.  When it is a large 8/4 board it also feels like cherry when cut to a smaller piece it turns into Alder.