Woodnet Forums
mess containment with lathe - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: mess containment with lathe (/showthread.php?tid=7354235)

mess containment with lathe - PVW - 04-04-2020

I have tools and stuff everywhere in the shop. When I do get to play on the lathe it always makes a mess far and wide . Its not fun trying to clean off everything when I'm done . So since I'm kinda lazy I decided to contain the mess at the lathe on the floor so clean up is pretty simple. It aint purdy but it works
[attachment=25684]

RE: mess containment with lathe - Arlin Eastman - 04-04-2020

So what did you use to hand the curtain on?

RE: mess containment with lathe - PVW - 04-04-2020

Its 1 1/4 inch plastic water pipe

RE: mess containment with lathe - Tim J. Chase - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 03:32 PM)PVW Wrote: I have tools and stuff everywhere in the shop. When I do get to play on the lathe it always makes a mess far and wide . Its not fun trying to clean off everything when I'm done . So since I'm kinda lazy I decided to contain the mess at the lathe on the floor so clean up is pretty simple. It aint purdy but it works

I like it, looks like it is very effective I currently do something similar but its an old sheet wrapped around  a 1 x2 hanging from hooks in the rafters I like yours much better.

RE: mess containment with lathe - Arlin Eastman - 04-05-2020

I used baling wire on mine several years ago and in the new shop nothing.  Will have to do it again soon.

RE: mess containment with lathe - sniper - 04-05-2020

That's a lot nicer looking than what I've got. I hung an old shower curtain from my 6" dust collection pipe with string. It's hanging between my lathe and my jointer.

RE: mess containment with lathe - KLaz - 04-06-2020

Did something similar with mine.

I purchased a 20' x 10' clear tarp.  I was able to get a ceiling track and hooks that hospitals use for privacy curtains and hooked the tarp to that.  The track has a 90* curve so I can close off a 10' x 10' area.  I have 10'-2" ceilings so with the track and hooks the tarp just barely touches the floor 

Perfect for turning and keeping shavings from flying through the shop. 

You're right, it's a pain to clean up around other tools and such.