Woodnet Forums
P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet (/showthread.php?tid=7355108)

P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - Ray Newman - 05-07-2020

Colleagues: I have the Porter-Cable 3101 laminate trim router with a hard to release two piece collet.

I have cleaned the collet body, nut holding it, etc., and it still sticks. Has anyone found a way to alleviate this issue?

Appreciate any thoughts.

RE: P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - Roly - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 01:19 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Colleagues: I have the Porter-Cable 3101 laminate trim router with a hard to release two piece collet.

I have cleaned the collet body, nut holding it, etc., and it still sticks. Has anyone found a way to alleviate this issue?

Appreciate any thoughts.

I am assuming the bit is sticking in the collet, if this is the case do not bottom out the bit when inserting, pull out a tad then tighten. When you want to remove the bit unloosen and push the bit deeper in the collet then it will pull out.   It may be necessary to tap the bit in with a piece of wood or mallet.  Roly

RE: P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - KLaz - 05-07-2020

If they stick I usually just tapped the side of the collet with the wrench and they pop right out.  I have a few of those little routers and keep round over bits in them at all times so don't switch them out often.

But, yes like mentioned above, don't let them bottom out in the collet when you tighten them.

RE: P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - Stwood_ - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 01:47 PM)KLaz Wrote: If they stick I usually just tapped the side of the collet with the wrench and they pop right out.  I have a few of those little routers and keep round over bits in them at all times so don't switch them out often.

But, yes like mentioned above, don't let them bottom out in the collet when you tighten them.

This...
I have 6 of them I think, so I usually always have one stuck. Good ol tap on the collet nut after loosening will work like Klaz mentions

RE: P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - brianwelch - 05-07-2020

(05-07-2020, 01:43 PM)Roly Wrote: I am assuming the bit is sticking in the collet, if this is the case do not bottom out the bit when inserting, pull out a tad then tighten. When you want to remove the bit unloosen and push the bit deeper in the collet then it will pull out.   It may be necessary to tap the bit in with a piece of wood or mallet.  Roly

I would do everything Roly says above, except, I would loosen instead...
sorry, couldn't help it... <grin>

RE: P-C laminate trimmer sticking collet - Ray Newman - 05-07-2020

Gents: thanks for your comments. I have been tapping on the collet nut and it works. I was just looking for another solution. Again, thanks.