Woodnet Forums
Stool height for a workbench - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stool height for a workbench (/showthread.php?tid=7355179)

Pages: 1 2

Stool height for a workbench - Peter Tremblay - 05-10-2020

Hello all,

I’ve done a fair bit of research about the bestheight of my workbench (which I built years ago). Now that I’m getting older I’d like to make a stool to sit at the bench and work on some tasks rather than always standing.

Do you know any wisdom or have any suggestions for the correct ergonomic height for a “woodworking workbench stool”?

Thanks

RE: Stool height for a workbench - gMike - 05-10-2020

I bought an adjustable height shop stool (on wheels) from Amazon some years ago.  It works well because I can adjust it according to the task I'm doing.  Sanding is at maximum height while other tasks are somewhat lower depending on what I'm doing.  For sake of information I built a bench under a large window at 36" high because it allowed me to not have to bend as far when standing. You may want to look for a stool that has a range of adjustment that works for your bench height.

It was a drafting table stool as I recall.

RE: Stool height for a workbench - MauleSkinner - 05-10-2020

I’d agree that a stool will need to be adjustable for different operations...think about how often you stand straight and then stoop over as you’re working.

One additional thought...I recently purchased Schwarz’ book about low benches,
https://lostartpress.com/collections/books/products/ingenious-mechanicks
and am thinking about building one in part for the sitting aspects.

RE: Stool height for a workbench - measure once cut remeasure - 05-11-2020

I bought used drafting table chairs that provide adjustable height and back support.
Needed one for my shop but bought 3 due to the low cost. I figured a spare or two in case the pneumatics went bad.
One is now used in front of the old Cushman secretary that my wife is sitting at to "work from home".

RE: Stool height for a workbench - mound - 05-11-2020

I have on my todo list to build an adjustable height stool.  Something basic that uses a large threaded rod so you can raise and lower the seat as the situation dictates.

RE: Stool height for a workbench - sylvius - 05-11-2020

(05-10-2020, 04:35 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I’ve done a fair bit of research about the bestheight of my workbench (which I built years ago). Now that I’m getting older I’d like to make a stool to sit at the bench and work on some tasks rather than always standing.

Do you know any wisdom or have any suggestions for the correct ergonomic height for a “woodworking workbench stool”?

Thanks

I’m working on the same for the standing desk I just finished in my home office for when I want to take a load off here and there. I just measured from the floor to the top of my iliac crest (hip bone) when standing and when sitting on a stool to figure out the stool height I need to have my upper half at the same level whether sitting or standing. Still need to build the stool to see how it works in practice but should be ok.

RE: Stool height for a workbench - Bill Holt - 05-12-2020

I also have an adjustable stool, but that is not why I am responding.

Back on April 28th Don_M posted his Bombay dresser.  Somewhere in the build-a-long someone asked where is Father Peter, wonder how he is doing on his Bombay?  Fella, its time to come clean, inquiring minds want to know?

RE: Stool height for a workbench - Peter Tremblay - 05-14-2020

(05-12-2020, 04:32 PM)Bill Holt Wrote:  I also have an adjustable stool, but that is not why I am responding.

Back on April 28th Don_M posted his Bombay dresser.  Somewhere in the build-a-long someone asked where is Father Peter, wonder how he is doing on his Bombay?  Fella, its time to come clean, inquiring minds want to know?

Laugh

It's sitting under wraps.  I haven't touched it in a long time.

That's not to say that I haven't done other projects.  

Work has kept me very busy up until now. 

I just finished 35 crosses for our graduating seniors as gifts.
I'm working on 4 infill hand planes that are almost finished
[attachment=26976]
[attachment=26977]

It's a mental thing for me.  I tackle the Bombe for a few months then put it on pause for a while.  I think I'll get back to it this summer.  My schedule for the summer has been almost totally cleared so I am looking forward to a lot of shop time.

RE: Stool height for a workbench - iclark - 05-14-2020

(05-14-2020, 02:13 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I just finished 35 crosses for our graduating seniors as gifts.

On the shop stool, Costco often has shop stools available in the store like these, but available as a single:
https://www.costco.com/ultra-cushioned-shop-stool%2C-2-pack.product.100504658.html
The adjustable height would let you experiment with what height(s) work for you. Then, you could build one that height and keep the adjustable one for visitors or for different types of work in the shop (like cutting dovetails with a Moxon vice).

On the crosses, would you share some info about the design that you use?

If you took pics of the build, a new thread so as to not hijack this one would be most excellent.

nice looking infills.  
Yes

RE: Stool height for a workbench - Gary G™ - 05-14-2020

The best stool I ever used wasn’t really a stool.
I worked for the USPS one Christmas season throwing 1st class mail—I was one of several manual sorters.
We each had a 3-sided zip code cubby cabinet in front of us and we leaned against a slanted pad while standing throwing envelopes into the bins in front of us.
Throwing is what they called it, but it’s more like sliding or pitching the envelopes straight ahead into the appropriate cubby.
Anyway, it wasn’t a stool, per se, but it sure worked great.