Woodnet Forums
Plane Making - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Plane Making (/showthread.php?tid=7355267)

Pages: 1 2

Plane Making - Scoony - 05-14-2020

I have been thinking about this project for a few months now. The first hurdle was tapered irons. LN offers tapered irons, but they are not exactly what I wanted. From what I have seen, plough planes seem to have thicker irons than side escarpment planes. I started with a piece of 1/4" 1/4" O1 steel and using a Dremel and hacksaw, cut one piece into two tapered blanks. I cleaned them up with a file, btu they still need more work as well as grooving the back side to fit the iron skate.

I have quite a bit of 1/4 sawn beech laying around for plane making. I think I should have drilled/cut the mortise first, but we will see how the mortise turns out with the base already cut. I am using a narrower match plane that was gifted to me by a fellow woodnetter as a model.  

Still a long way to go. I had to use the drill press as the bench is full of the current project waiting on the finish to cure a few more days. 

Anyone have an idea on the screw size I will need for the skate? #10 or #12? I will have to order them and can figure out the length, just not sure on the size.

[attachment=26979]

RE: Plane Making - Timberwolf - 05-14-2020

(05-14-2020, 07:17 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have been thinking about this project for a few months now. The first hurdle was tapered irons. LN offers tapered irons, but they are not exactly what I wanted. From what I have seen, plough planes seem to have thicker irons than side escarpment planes. I started with a piece of 1/4" 1/4" O1 steel and using a Dremel and hacksaw, cut one piece into two tapered blanks. I cleaned them up with a file, btu they still need more work as well as grooving the back side to fit the iron skate.

I have quite a bit of 1/4 sawn beech laying around for plane making. I think I should have drilled/cut the mortise first, but we will see how the mortise turns out with the base already cut. I am using a narrower match plane that was gifted to me by a fellow woodnetter as a model.  

Still a long way to go. I had to use the drill press as the bench is full of the current project waiting on the finish to cure a few more days. 

Anyone have an idea on the screw size I will need for the skate? #10 or #12? I will have to order them and can figure out the length, just not sure on the size.
I would go with a #10/32..Easier to find and will put more threads in thinner stock...32 as opposed to 24TPI...

RE: Plane Making - Scoony - 05-14-2020

(05-14-2020, 07:42 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................................
I would go with a #10/32..Easier to find and will put more threads in thinner stock...32 as opposed to 24TPI...

Thanks, I went back and looked in the book and it said to use #10. I wll have to look for the finer thread pitch. Looking at McMaster Carr, they have #10 x 3/4 but in 13 pitch.   3/4" may be a tad bit long, but I can always trim the tip back.   Any other sources for screws?

RE: Plane Making - Phil S. - 05-14-2020

These guys have #10 slotted flatheads in 1/2 and 5/8" -

https://www.boltdepot.com/Wood_screws_Slotted_flat_head_Zinc_plated_steel_10.aspx

But it seems you should be able to find similar screws locally.

RE: Plane Making - Scoony - 05-15-2020

https://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

These guys have unplated screws.

RE: Plane Making - Scoony - 05-17-2020

After working on the first blank for a while, I realized that would be easier to get the mortise mostly completed prior to making the series of cuts to the bottom. I also realize that I had that first blank backwards in relations to the grain. No loss, I can resaw that blank into wedge material. 

I started with a fresh blank and made a jig to assist with drilling the holes for the mortise. I found a 12" long 3/16" drill bit locally and cut it down to 6" so I could get it through the blank.  I need to make a third wedge to dill a middle hole to make removing the material easier. 

Got the wedge initially fitted and will cut the bottom and start on the skate this coming week. I did take a 1/4" Irwin chisel and grind the tip into a scraper. Amazing how well it works at removing thin shaving of wood. 

[attachment=27028]

[attachment=27029]

RE: Plane Making - Scoony - 05-19-2020

Made the series of cuts to the bottom of the plane. I don't have a picture of the profile at the moment. Also started on the skate pieces. 

The bed as a bit of a bump that I need to flatten out, but otherwise the wedge holds the blade very securely. I need to dothe final clean-up of the blade and fit the rear skate to fit the groove in the rear of the blade. 

[attachment=27076]

RE: Plane Making - MauleSkinner - 05-19-2020

Drawer bottom plane?

RE: Plane Making - Scoony - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 02:14 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Drawer bottom plane?

Yes. The plane I am using as a model is a match plane and cuts a narrow groove 3/8" deep. This one I am making will cut a groove 1/4" deep.

I am now at the point to where I need to finish up the blade and shape the cut-out on the front skate. I have it roughed out, but it needs a lot of refinement.

RE: Plane Making - bandit571 - 05-19-2020

Afraid mine is a bit too blocky....for being made back in 1864....
[attachment=27080]
G. Roseboom..
[attachment=27081]
May have been part of a set...
[attachment=27082]
and...may have worked with a tongue plane, as a Match Set.
What screws I could remove (was splitting the fence) never had a point on them. 

BTW: I left the screws for the skate alone....