Woodnet Forums
Granddaughter's graduation - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Granddaughter's graduation (/showthread.php?tid=7355318)

Granddaughter's graduation - Bobby Thompson - 05-17-2020

Friday night was my granddaughter's high school graduation. She goes to a private christian school and they arranged graduation. Each graduate had a specific time to graduate. They could have 15 family members attend. They went through the full graduation ceremony for each graduate, one at a time. They videoed each one and will put together a video with all them in it. She got to do her valdictorian speech. She got a scholarship to John Brown University in Silom Springs, Arkansas. She is going into video editing. She got an additional $6000 for 3 videos that she sent in.  I built a shadow box at my daughters request. It was for her first violin. She plays violin,flute, and obo. She did not know it until last night. It is made of walnut that I had. The tree was cut down around 25 years ago. It has been in my shop for the last 14 years. I put led lights in the top by routing a quarter inch slot through the top followed by a 3/8" slot at 1/2" deep and a 1/2" slot at 1/4" deep. I made a cover from 1/2" stock with a rabbet that allowed it to sit in the last slot. I mounted an infrared controller on the top. The top moulding hides it when it is mounted to the wall. Since it was infrared I had to install the sensor so it would be in line of sight from the remote. I drilled a hole in the top moulding and pushed the sensor to the front through the hole. I has four different colored leds and the remote controls how the work. I particularly liked the fade function that allows them to fade from white to blue to green then red. You can probably tell that I am really proud of her.

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - jteneyck - 05-17-2020

Yep, I can tell you are proud.  Who wouldn't be.  Valedictorian of her class, scholarship to college, plays several instruments.  Every (grand)parents dream child.  Good on her, and you for making her what I'm sure is and always will be a cherrished graduation gift.  

John

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - Handplanesandmore - 05-17-2020

Every child's dream granddad, I say, one who can woodwork...and before you know it, her request could be for a crib!

Congrats to both of you. Many graduates of any level don't get to have a grad. ceremony at all.

Simon

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - Halfathumb - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 08:31 AM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: Friday night was my granddaughter's high school graduation. She goes to a private christian school and they arranged graduation. Each graduate had a specific time to graduate. They could have 15 family members attend. They went through the full graduation ceremony for each graduate, one at a time. They videoed each one and will put together a video with all them in it. She got to do her valdictorian speech. She got a scholarship to John Brown University in Silom Springs, Arkansas. She is going into video editing. She got an additional $6000 for 3 videos that she sent in.  I built a shadow box at my daughters request. It was for her first violin. She plays violin,flute, and obo. She did not know it until last night. It is made of walnut that I had. The tree was cut down around 25 years ago. It has been in my shop for the last 14 years. I put led lights in the top by routing a quarter inch slot through the top followed by a 3/8" slot at 1/2" deep and a 1/2" slot at 1/4" deep. I made a cover from 1/2" stock with a rabbet that allowed it to sit in the last slot. I mounted an infrared controller on the top. The top moulding hides it when it is mounted to the wall. Since it was infrared I had to install the sensor so it would be in line of sight from the remote. I drilled a hole in the top moulding and pushed the sensor to the front through the hole. I has four different colored leds and the remote controls how the work. I particularly liked the fade function that allows them to fade from white to blue to green then red. You can probably tell that I am really proud of her.

I've had a couple of proud moments along these lines. Yep. You're proud as can be, and you should be.

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - Phil Thien - 05-17-2020

Amazing work on the shadow box and the granddaughter. Good job.

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - Arlin Eastman - 05-17-2020

Bobby

Tell her congrats on the job well done and her future.

To grandpa well done also buddy.   So nice having you around again and missed you.
Yes

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - Turner52 - 05-17-2020

Grandkids are even better than kids. You get to spoil them and be their friend instead of the disciplanairan. Sounds like she is a hard worker and will see benefits from that. Wonderful

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - Tapper - 05-17-2020

Congrats to your granddaughter on her graduation as valedictorian and the college scholarship! And congrats to you for being a thoughtful grandad and making such a nice gift, a treasure forever I'm sure.

Doug

RE: Granddaughter's graduation - hcbph - 05-18-2020

That's a wonderful gift.  Congratulate your granddaughter for all her accomplishments, she's an exception to the rule today.