Woodnet Forums
Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled (/showthread.php?tid=7355454)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - OneStaple - 05-23-2020

Hey All,

I know this is a fairly new product (it's in the "what's new" section), but has anyone tried the new router sled from Lee Valley (linky)? I need to build a router sled to flatten a couple slabs and this looks like it could be a decent approach. It's not entirely DIY on building one (so saves time), but also not crazy expensive like some of the other pre-built options I've seen. I do worry that the 1-1/2" EMT might sag a little over a 10' length, but I also don't have a piece on hand to feel the stiffness.

Along similar lines, any thoughts on the quality of the flattening router bits (linky)? I know there are other options out there too.

Thanks,
Tyler

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Bill Holt - 05-24-2020

No experience with the kit.  I do like the design, but my routers are heavy and I feel a little uneasy with 1-1/2" EMT for ten feet.  On the other hand Lee Valley has a fine reputation.

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Phil Thien - 05-24-2020

It is pretty clever if you ask me. And if I purchased that many white nylon spacers at my hardware store, they'd charge me $69 just for those!

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - GeeDub - 05-29-2020

(05-24-2020, 07:51 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: No experience with the kit.  I do like the design, but my routers are heavy and I feel a little uneasy with 1-1/2" EMT for ten feet.  On the other hand Lee Valley has a fine reputation.

Agreed.  I played with some 1-1/2" EMT and the flex is pretty definite.  These types of rigs are not designed to give you a ready-to-finish surface.  I'm sure it does okay.  It may be that a thicker wall pipe or a delicate touch would yield a more consistent surface.  Obviously the closer you get to a flat surface off the rig, the less there is to do to get where you are going.

You can get 100 nylon spacers online for about $15.

100 Nylon Spacer Bushings .257 I.D. 1/2 O.D. Length 1/4
by Clipsandfasteners Inc
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 ratings
Price: $12.99 FREE One-Day & FREE Returns

For the Lee Valley kit, ready-to-go their price seems quite reasonable.

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Handplanesandmore - 05-29-2020

10'?
Big eek

No one is going to fool themselves to try to get a van when what they really need is a container truck!

Simon

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Arlin Eastman - 05-29-2020

It does say out of stock until July 31st if you need it right now.

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Stwood_ - 05-29-2020

(05-23-2020, 11:17 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey All,

I know this is a fairly new product (it's in the "what's new" section), but has anyone tried the new router sled from Lee Valley (linky)? I need to build a router sled to flatten a couple slabs and this looks like it could be a decent approach. It's not entirely DIY on building one (so saves time), but also not crazy expensive like some of the other pre-built options I've seen. I do worry that the 1-1/2" EMT might sag a little over a 10' length, but I also don't have a piece on hand to feel the stiffness.

Along similar lines, any thoughts on the quality of the flattening router bits (linky)? I know there are other options out there too.

Thanks,
Tyler

No advice on the kit, but that bit is what I use except it's a Whiteside brand bit.

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - Handplanesandmore - 05-30-2020

One can cast doubt about the product as it's too new but anyone who wondered if its price is reasonable should find another (cheaper) hobby such as paper folding to do. $69 or more is how much many of us spend on a weekend family evening meal at a restaurant (pre covid 19). Non lavish by most people's standards. The fact that it has been sold out tells us perhaps it is underpriced.

Simon

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - OneStaple - 05-30-2020

GeeDub Wrote:I played with some 1-1/2" EMT and the flex is pretty definite. These types of rigs are not designed to give you a ready-to-finish surface. I'm sure it does okay. It may be that a thicker wall pipe or a delicate touch would yield a more consistent surface. Obviously the closer you get to a flat surface off the rig, the less there is to do to get where you are going.
Understood that they're not ready-to-finish surfaces, but I don't want to have to wrestle a 1/4" dip out of the middle of the board when done with the router. Ideally some clean up with a hand plane, big planer, and/or big belt sander would get you essentially ready to finish. I'm wondering if I could jury rig some temporary/moveable mid-span supports to minimize deflection.

Stwood_ Wrote:No advice on the kit, but that bit is what I use except it's a Whiteside brand bit.
Are you saying that what Lee Valley sells is a Whiteside brand bit, or just that you use Whiteside's version of the same type of bit? I assume the latter.

Handplanesandmore Wrote:One can cast doubt about the product as it's too new but anyone who wondered if its price is reasonable should find another (cheaper) hobby such as paper folding to do.
I have no qualms with the pricing. I think it's pretty reasonable for the time it would save me, as long as the jig works reasonably well, as discussed.

Thanks for the thoughts all!

Tyler

RE: Anyone tried Lee Valley router sled - tablesawtom - 05-31-2020

(05-24-2020, 07:51 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: No experience with the kit.  I do like the design, but my routers are heavy and I feel a little uneasy with 1-1/2" EMT for ten feet.  On the other hand Lee Valley has a fine reputation.

I understand what you're saying, but does it need to be 10 foot long? And you are right about being  a little uneasy, so please don't take this wrong be when I consider other option and uses . I would think that it could be made adjustable if someone only needed the do a 72 inch long slab. I think it is buy at the present price. It also has panel saw written all over it. If a sacrificial board is clamped over the cut line you have a track saw . I am considering it. 

Tom