Woodnet Forums
Tenon size - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tenon size (/showthread.php?tid=7355538)

Tenon size - Bill Mains - 05-27-2020

Turning maple bowl n wondering what size tenon? Bowl is 11.75 inches wide x 3 inches. Wood is dry. I turned a tenon for my 35mm spigot jaws n it looks too small. Only other jaws I have are the 5omm nova jaws. Thaks

RE: Tenon size - Bill Holt - 05-27-2020

I'm self taught, so I don't know any guidelines.  For a bowl that size, I would use my 4" jaws.

RE: Tenon size - MichaelMouse - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 03:05 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Turning maple bowl n wondering what size tenon? Bowl is 11.75 inches wide x 3 inches. Wood is dry. I turned a tenon for my 35mm spigot jaws n it  looks too small. Only other jaws I have are the 5omm nova jaws. Thaks

Late to do a bottom mortise, but the 50mm will handle a 12" shallow bowl easily.  If you're a cutter, not a hacker, your 35 should handle things, but the coward in me says to put waste on a faceplate (or held by a 50mm mortise) with a suitable-for-gluing mortise for your existing tenon.

I think I used my spigot jaws exactly twice before they moved along to the back of the drawer.  I don't like to chew the wood, so I use the wedge jaws either in mortises or occasionally with tenons.

RE: Tenon size - Arlin Eastman - 05-27-2020

What MM said.

If you could have put it in expansion you could have done it up to 3" or wider. 

How big are you going to make the foot??  I think I would make it 3.5" to 4" to keep the bowl stable unless it is an art piece then it can sit on a needle point. 
Laugh