Woodnet Forums
ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? (/showthread.php?tid=7355587)

ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - mound - 05-30-2020

I have 3 fence posts to set and I have several bags of Quickcrete "crack resistant" concrete mix left over:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-80-lb-Crack-Resistant-Concrete-Mix-100680/100318448

Do any of you know if there's any reason not to use this for the fence posts? Can I dump it in the hole dry and add water or must it be pre-mixed?

RE: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - R Clark - 05-30-2020

I don't know why you couldn't use it for that application.  I wouldn't buy it specifically for setting psots due to increased cost over regular "cheap" pre-mixed bags, but I'm also not a fan of concrete mix just sitting in the shed long term waiting for a "someday, something" use.

If it was me, I'd use it. But I think I would pre-mix it.

RE: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - Gary G™ - 05-30-2020

Yep; you already own it—mix it up and pour it down.

RE: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - Snipe Hunter - 05-30-2020

I've used old bags of mortar, grout, concrete.. whatever sets.

RE: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - petertay15 - 05-31-2020

If you pour it in dry, the moisture in the ground is sufficient to harden and set the mortar or cement. But, it’s difficult to set a post when the bottom remains loose, since you can’t tamp down the powder. Of course you can’t tamp down wet cement either. A deep-set, well-tamped fence post will be as firm as one set in cement. I guess I’m thinking of soil with lots of clay. Sandy soil would benefit from the cement

RE: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - messmaker - 05-31-2020

(05-30-2020, 08:54 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I've used old bags of mortar, grout, concrete.. whatever sets.

me too

RE: ok to use quickcrete crack resistant on fence post? - mound - 06-01-2020

Thanks all. I used the stuff, pre-mixed it. worked fine. posts are set!