Woodnet Forums
Color bleeding over to lighter wood - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Color bleeding over to lighter wood (/showthread.php?tid=7356092)

Color bleeding over to lighter wood - gear jammer - 06-21-2020

Turned a segmented vase using curly maple and a couple patchwork rings using padauk. I got it to where I wanted, sanded to 600 grit.Yesterday I wiped it, blew it with the  air and used a tackcloth on it. Wiped on poly on the lathe but not running.  This afternoon I went out to look and the padauk bled over into the curly maple giving it a red tint. It is really to thin to cut down and start anew. I have it at 3/16 approx. 

Any suggestions on where to now or leave it alone and call it designer spec's. How do you avoid this. This is really the first light colored vessel I have done of any size.

RE: Color bleeding over to lighter wood - FrankAtl - 06-21-2020

That seems to be pretty common with Padauk and Maple. Too bad because they look great together. I've seen others post on ways to avoid/minimize the bleeding so I expect someone who knows a little more than me chime in soon.

Good luck! Post a picture when you get a chance.

RE: Color bleeding over to lighter wood - Arlin Eastman - 06-22-2020

As Frank said o so common but for me sharp tools and blowing out any dust from the paduak that may bleed over and then seal it starting with the either one.  One thing I have noticed yesterday while doing maple and Peruvian walnut which also did the same thing is I kept the same paper towel on the whole thing while the walnut was all over the rag so it make it bleed into the maple to.

The paper towel has a lot of stain from the walnut in it and I think the color in the towel imbedded it into the maple.  So I had to sand it back out again and do it again.

RE: Color bleeding over to lighter wood - SteveS - 06-22-2020

When having maple and African paduak and am using solvent based finishes like lacquer, I will wipe on Deft with a light coating and wipe off any bleed off. That much reduces color issues. After that I do light coats of lacquer to build up. It should also be noted that I sand to 600 grit to reduce the effect of color absorption into the fibers.

RE: Color bleeding over to lighter wood - PVW - 06-23-2020

(06-21-2020, 01:59 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Turned a segmented vase using curly maple and a couple patchwork rings using padauk. I got it to where I wanted, sanded to 600 grit.Yesterday I wiped it, blew it with the  air and used a tackcloth on it. Wiped on poly on the lathe but not running.  This afternoon I went out to look and the padauk bled over into the curly maple giving it a red tint. It is really to thin to cut down and start anew. I have it at 3/16 approx. 

Any suggestions on where to now or leave it alone and call it designer spec's. How do you avoid this. This is really the first light colored vessel I have done of any size.

I try not to use padouk with maple, always a mess. You might try bloodwood next time. works for me

RE: Color bleeding over to lighter wood - Gary G™ - 06-28-2020

If it’s not too big, you could spit-coat with CA.