Woodnet Forums
BS Fence Micro-Adjust Feature: A Semi-Brilliant Idea: SUCCESS! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: BS Fence Micro-Adjust Feature: A Semi-Brilliant Idea: SUCCESS! (/showthread.php?tid=7356349)

Pages: 1 2 3

BS Fence Micro-Adjust Feature: A Semi-Brilliant Idea: SUCCESS! - Philip1231 - 07-03-2020

I'd like to have the ability to dial in my bandsaw fence (Laguna 14bx) with some sort of micro-adjust device.  I know that Laguna sells the Driftmaster fence, which apparently has this micro-adjust feature, but its in the $350-$400 range. Any alternatives? Just to be clear, I am not trying to adjust for drift: I just want to dial in the width of my cuts with less trial and error.

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - Howard Pollack - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 09:02 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: I'd like to have the ability to dial in my bandsaw fence (Laguna 14bx) with some sort of micro-adjust device.  I know that Laguna sells the Driftmaster fence, which apparently has this micro-adjust feature, but its in the $350-$400 range. Any alternatives? Just to be clear, I am not trying to adjust for drift: I just want to dial in the width of my cuts with less trial and error.

I believe that Kreg makes one.  -Howard

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - Philip1231 - 07-03-2020

Yes, I have looked at that. But it is made specifically for the Kreg BS fence, which may not be as good as the stock fence I already have on the Laguna 14bx.   I could probably make this (or something like this) work, but I am trying to avoid getting into a new DIY project.  

[attachment=28049]
(07-03-2020, 09:17 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: I believe that Kreg makes one.  -Howard

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - GeeDub - 07-03-2020

I did not find any commercial offerings that suited the Laguna. My Google-fu is strong but, not otherworldly. I built a shop made one for an old router table. If you can fit a block and clamp to your current rail profile a threaded insert or epoxied t-nut, a knob and some threaded rod and you are pretty much there.

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - Ohio Mike - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 09:02 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: I'd like to have the ability to dial in my bandsaw fence (Laguna 14bx) with some sort of micro-adjust device.  I know that Laguna sells the Driftmaster fence, which apparently has this micro-adjust feature, but its in the $350-$400 range. Any alternatives? Just to be clear, I am not trying to adjust for drift: I just want to dial in the width of my cuts with less trial and error.

I've gone old school.

A cheap dial indicator mounted to a block of wood with magnets on the underside.  I still need to tap the fence back and forth manually, but now I can tell how far it has moved.

The black plastic handle pivots to provide leverage to defeat the magnets.

[Image: 50072486627_21fd86bf85_c.jpg]

[Image: 50072486647_cf5fd6cd82_c.jpg]

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - Philip1231 - 07-03-2020

Mike: Thanks: an idea definitely worth considering. Phil

(07-03-2020, 10:54 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I've gone old school.

A cheap dial indicator mounted to a block of wood with magnets on the underside.  I still need to tap the fence back and forth manually, but now I can tell how far it has moved.

The black plastic handle pivots to provide leverage to defeat the magnets.

[Image: 50072486627_21fd86bf85_c.jpg]

[Image: 50072486647_cf5fd6cd82_c.jpg]

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - GeeDub - 07-05-2020

Thumbs up to the ingenuity of Ohio Mike.  I like to keep it simple when possible.  People spend stupid-money on alignment tools for woodworking machines.  I have used my Poor Man's Rotocater for years along with my Poor Man's Tablesaw Gauge.

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - Derek Cohen - 07-05-2020

Philip, my mod did not cost me anything, but could be expensive for others. Of course, they is a choice.

I replaced the digital readout on the Wixey on the table saw (Hammer K3). It worked but had been patched up a bit, and then I came across a new replacement for very little ...

[Image: 1.jpg]

Some months later it occurred to me to add the remaining track (which as over from cutting it down to fit to the saw) to my bandsaw (Hammer n4400), and add the old readout ...

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

This setup requires the tap-tap to move the fence, but I am used to this. However, the adjustments are very precise, and it is capable of repeated measurements. I love it.

Much cheaper: Some years ago what I did was to screw on a steel ruler ..

[Image: Scale1.jpg]

[Image: Scale2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - Philip1231 - 07-13-2020

Some may have noticed that I suddenly went silent on this post. Well, I had an idea, and submitted it to FWW. It got rejected today, so here it is, as submitted.  

When you are ripping on your bandsaw, it is not uncommon to bump the fence, either left or right, until you zero in on your desired dimension.  This approach, although workable, can be tedious.  I have outfitted my BS with a locking collar on the fence mounting rail tube. The collar's position on the rail is easily adjustable with an allen wrench. Once you get your fence roughly in position, lock it in place, slide the locking collar against your fence casting and lock it in position. Make a test cut and determine how much the fence needs to be adjusted to dial in the final cut.  If the fence needs to move to the left by, lets say a 64th, loosen the fence, and slide a .016” feeler gauge between the collar and fence.  Then lock the fence in position. If you need to move to the right with the fence, just move the collar first, insert the feeler gauge and lock the collar in the new position. Slide the fence against the collar, and you are good to go. This method provides a reliable indexable reference that makes setting up the BS a breeze.  

[attachment=28256]
[attachment=28257]
[attachment=28258]
[attachment=28259]

RE: Bandsaw Fence Micro-Adjust Feature - barryvabeach - 07-13-2020

Nice idea, and pretty original.  It is fairly common that I read a magazine or post that says here is a new tip, and I had seen it numerous times before.  I don't ever recall seeing your idea.