Woodnet Forums
Arts and Crafts style lamps - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Arts and Crafts style lamps (/showthread.php?tid=7356354)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - jteneyck - 07-03-2020

Those are very nice; both the design and execution.  The floor lamp is a perfect pairing for the table lamp.  Well done.  

John

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - Eurekan - 07-04-2020

(07-03-2020, 07:32 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Very nice. They are on my to do list. QSWO is my favorite wood. Did you do lock miters on the legs?

I tried to do lock miter but found it is much too narrow to handle safely. I went with a modified overlap/dado.  Not sure what to call it. I used my RAS to nibble out a portion of each cutout for the center. Very easy on the RAS not sure how I would have done that otherwise.  Here is a badly drawn picture and an end view of the cord leg. The edges of the overlaps just disappear when the radius is complete. FWIW the table lamp has a 4deg slant and the floor lamp 2 deg.
[attachment=28069]
[attachment=28070]

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - lift mechanic - 07-04-2020

Never thought about doing it that way, great way to get the flake on all 4 sides. Now that you mentioned it doing the narrow pieces with a lock miter bit dangerous. I did legs for a dining room table legs with a lock miter bit but the pieces were 6" wide.
Again nice job.

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - shoottmx - 07-05-2020

Super work and a very pleasing design,

g

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - 2beast - 09-11-2020

Beautiful!
I have been wanting to make some A&C lamps as well 
Cool

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - KC - 09-11-2020

Love the floorlamp!  If you're willing to share dimensions and such shoot me a PM.  One of those would be perfect for our retirement place.  
Yes

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - Cooler - 09-11-2020

How do you cut mica?

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - Bill Holt - 09-11-2020

Great Job!!!  I'm a huge fan of Arts & Craft lamps.  You really nailed it.  Your approach to the legs was ingenious.

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - wood-chips - 09-11-2020

Those are really sharp looking lamps.
The leg construction is ingenious.

RE: Arts and Crafts style lamps - Eurekan - 09-14-2020

I cut the mica by first using a cardboard template to fit the frame. Then I used a straight edge and a new blade in the utility knife. I slowly scored it because the mica will flake apart and will want to drag the knife off line. (in fact there is a score on one of the faces I'm not showing). I did the cut several times till it went all the way through. I tried scissors, tin snips, saws but nothing worked as well as just trying to score it. Scissors and tin snips would cause the mica to flake and come apart. If somebody has a better idea please tell me.