Woodnet Forums
HVLP sprayer suggestions - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: HVLP sprayer suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=7356700)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Jack01 - 07-21-2020

(07-21-2020, 04:30 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Jack, I have used Alkyd paints without issues.  The key is getting the correct viscosity.  My unit came with "viscosity cup".

Bill   
You have Earlex 5500 HVLP ?

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - rwe2156 - 07-22-2020

It may say "sprays latex" but you're still going to have to thin it.  Depending on what brand of paint, thinning maybe be A LOT, which really affects the way the paint looks.  Because of this, I've never had much luck with latex and HVLP. 

The ProClassic product is better, personally I've had the best results with the water based pigmented lacquers sold by Target Coatings.

That said, before I started spraying, I painted a lot of cabinets and built ins with a brush and got quite acceptable results.

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Rob Young - 07-22-2020

(07-21-2020, 01:20 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I did some more home work and found following;

Earlax 5500 system , about $ 300.  It says it will spay Latex, but no mention of Alkyd Paint. It may spray that paint by changing needle.
Fuji Semi Pro 2 is about $ 440.00  I could not find any info if this if it will spray Alkyd.

Using HF or other low price guns
Need compressor  at least 6 CFM at 40 PSI   which will be about $ 300 +
2 different guns about $ 100+

Other option is paint Alkyd by using brush and roller.

I have a 4-stage Sprayfine A401 brand which does a fantastic job. I just checked and the cost has gone up since I bought mine. Was $499, now $559. Comes with one gun and several other accessories. Gun is a cup-under design and pressurized. I think it comes with either a 1.3 or 1.5 mm N/N set but additional sets are $30 each which is generally cheaper than other brands. I've borrowed an older 4-stage Apollo and did a head-to-head with various finishes on some plywood and once you get things adjusted, you can't tell the difference. 

With a 2mm N/N installed I have no problems spraying exterior acrylic/latex. I've done a bunch of Adirondack chairs with it. Makes it quick and easy. Exterior primer needed thinning but as I recall I was able to keep it within the 10% limit that is tossed around. 

I spray things like Zinser BIN primer (interior shellac based stuff) with a 1.3mm N/N, shellac with the 1.00 and 1.3, water borne poly-stuff with the 1.3 and 1.5. And the General Finishes "Milk" paint (an acrylic) with the 1.5 and 1.8.  The difference seems to be the temperature. If it is below 60F I use the slightly larger N/N or need to thin just a touch. YMMV

Upside is the cost for 4-stages. Downside (to some) is that this is a bleeder style gun. Note the Earlex 55xx system is also a bleeder. That means there is always air coming out the front of the gun. All turbine systems must vent air somehow otherwise you burn up the motor. The A401 does have a relief valve back at the turbine but they suggest using a bleeder gun for longer turbine life. You adapt to the continuous air stream and just learn to keep track of where it is pointed when not spraying.

And final comment, whatever system get get do two things:
1) Get an inexpensive Ford #4 viscosity cup (or 2 or 3 as they sometimes get goobered up). About $10 on amazon. Use this to establish the flow out time and help pick N/N and gun settings.
2) Keep notes and be consistent in thinning and setup.

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - ajkoontz - 07-22-2020

(07-18-2020, 10:19 AM)Jack01 Wrote: I am planning to paint cabinet, I will be using "Waterborne Alkyd Paint"
For cabinet doors I  will use spray gun to get uniform coverage, I have made a temporary spray booth in basement.

Now I am looking for HVLP spray system, at reasonable price.
There are quite a few there, Wagner has few low price system
Fuji has good, but its out of my budget. ( can't justify the cost for one small project)

I am looking for HVLP system which will allow to Spay Latex as well as Polyurethane .

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

This gun will do latex very well, but not poly. Not what you asked for, but throwing it out as an option. Now that I have one, I use it all the time for home improvement type jobs. A lot of people don't like this because it is too small, ie- you have to reload the cup a lot. It is perfect size for cabinet doors and is my go-to for any medium size projects, including painting a bedroom for example. I have a full size airless sprayer as well, and 90% of the time I use the trucoat because it is easier to clean and lug around (for me).
https://www.amazon.com/Graco-17D889-TrueCoat-Handheld-Sprayer/dp/B00ZLIV55A/ref=asc_df_B00ZLIV55A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193152739170&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12403068572898657611&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016480&hvtargid=pla-309404695601&psc=1&language=en_US

I also have the rockler ~$100 HVLP system. It will do poly just fine. And it WILL do latex, but you have to thin it so much and the results are not great, especially compared to the trucoat. I did some latex trim paint with the HVLP and I would brush rather than use the HVLP to paint again.

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Kansas City Fireslayer - 07-22-2020

If you want an HVLP, I would follow Rob Young’s advice.

If you can find a good deal on a used 4-5 stage HVLP, I’d consider that route too. I have an older Graco 4 stage with a full N/N set and it can spray BM Advance very well with just a tad of thinning. It shoots GF’s clear Enduro WB poly perfect without thinning.

I have an Earlex 5500 too. Yes, it will spray latex and it will probably spray the black tar waterproofing sealer that goes on basement walls......if you thin it enough.

All kidding aside, it sprays dyes and Seal Coat just fine. You have to thin Advance to the point it will noticeably change the sheen. However, It’s fair to say that I’m a bit of a sprayer snob and I lack patience for fiddling with material viscosities. If I have to thin the material too much, it’s the wrong tool for the job.

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Jack01 - 07-22-2020

Thanks for all the advise

What is 2 stage,  4 stage, 5tage systems.?

Just trying to understand.

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Don_M - 07-22-2020

(07-22-2020, 04:23 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Thanks for all the advise

What is 2 stage,  4 stage, 5tage systems.?

Just trying to understand.
The number of stages is basically the number of fans that make up the turbine. More stages equals more/better airflow and higher pressures. SO presumptively a better quality job and can handle higher viscosity material. (Or another way to put it – more stages equals  more $$)

I started off with a 2-stage machine and if everything was PERFECTLY tuned up (gun, material viscosity, etc.) it could barely spray latex. You really need to be thinking at least 3-stage or more! I have an  ACCUSpray 230 (no longer in business) and a 10 gun – and IMO it does a great job. If a ever haver to replace it I will probably look at either Fuji or Apollo .

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - BloomingtonMike - 07-24-2020

(07-22-2020, 05:33 PM)Don_M Wrote: The number of stages is basically the number of fans that make up the turbine. More stages equals more/better airflow and higher pressures. SO presumptively a better quality job and can handle higher viscosity material. (Or another way to put it – more stages equals  more $$)

I started off with a 2-stage machine and if everything was PERFECTLY tuned up (gun, material viscosity, etc.) it could barely spray latex. You really need to be thinking at least 3-stage or more! I have an  ACCUSpray 230 (no longer in business) and a 10 gun – and IMO it does a great job. If a ever haver to replace it I will probably look at either Fuji or Apollo .

I have a 4-stage Capspray 9100. I tried shooting paint using correct needle set and even with floetrol. Marginal at best. Then I borrowed a buddies Graco 2100 airless (older hi boy that you can rebuild). It was an epiphany moment. I literally shot 40 5-gallon buckets with it and the one I bought for myself (and also bought a new gun and nozzles and hose and whip for his as a thank you) I know own my own older 2100 Graco airless and the Capspray for fine finishes.

You learn t keep all guns clean and on a hi-boy airless with long hose you learn to reclaim paint from hose.

You want cheaper - go buy the harbor freight airless. 

Airless is amazing for this!

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Rob Young - 07-24-2020

(07-24-2020, 09:15 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I have a 4-stage Capspray 9100. I tried shooting paint using correct needle set and even with floetrol. Marginal at best. Then I borrowed a buddies Graco 2100 airless (older hi boy that you can rebuild). It was an epiphany moment. I literally shot 40 5-gallon buckets with it and the one I bought for myself (and also bought a new gun and nozzles and hose and whip for his as a thank you) I know own my own older 2100 Graco airless and the Capspray for fine finishes.

You learn t keep all guns clean and on a hi-boy airless with long hose you learn to reclaim paint from hose.

You want cheaper - go buy the harbor freight airless. 

Airless is amazing for this!

Yep, for house paint and even latex wall paint, airless and air-assisted airless are much more effective.

You can get gallon cups for HVLP that hang on a hook and then run a pair of hoses back to the gun to try and paint a house with an HVLP rig but it would still require too much thinning for house paint and be torture vs. airless.

Fortunately I don't paint houses.
Smile  Get good mileage from a 4-stage and avoiding house paint.

(And keep in mind that additives like Floetrol generally don't reduce the viscosity of paints because you aren't adding much and its pretty close in viscosity to the paint base. Rather they help the flow out things can coalesce and minimize problems like orange peel. The recommended solvents for coatings thin the materials by providing more "carrier" fluid. Too much thinning or too much additives tend to negatively affect the paint.)

Match the tool to the job...

RE: HVLP sprayer suggestions - Murray M - 07-26-2020

I had a very nice $1200 4 stage Apollo years ago. It was supposed to be the one gun to do it all: small pieces and rooms too. 

Nope.

Sold it within a year. 

HVLP, even quality high end HVLP is for small stuff. I painted a large room with it and it was MISERABLE. I even spent the super big bucks and got the 2.5 gallon pressure pot. MISERABLE. Just couldn't get enough paint on the walls. 

Now I have an airless for big stuff and I use a brush for small stuff (I don't do a lot of small stuff and do lots of big stuff). That's the right tool for me.