Woodnet Forums
nail down hardwood floor install - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: nail down hardwood floor install (/showthread.php?tid=7356780)

Pages: 1 2

nail down hardwood floor install - KC - 07-22-2020

I'm going to nail down (cleats) 3/4 TIG red oak directly on top of the existing pine, which itself is nailed on diagonal subfloor (old house).  Is rosin paper necessary or worth the minimal bother?

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - 6270_Productions - 07-22-2020

In my opinion, yes - unless you like floors that squeak.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - KC - 07-22-2020

(07-22-2020, 05:32 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: In my opinion, yes - unless you like floors that squeak.

That was my concern.  If they don't squeak now, would I expect the new to?  I guess it's cheap insurance.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - 6270_Productions - 07-22-2020

(07-22-2020, 05:59 PM)KC Wrote: That was my concern.  If they don't squeak now, would I expect the new to?  I guess it's cheap insurance.

On the one hand the "old" floor should be less likely to squeak since you will be adding additional nails to (through?) it.

On the other hand the squeak will most likely occur BETWEEN the old floor and the new floor - - unless you put some kind of "anti-squeak stuff" between them . . . like rosin paper.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - Snipe Hunter - 07-23-2020

Yes
I use 15# roofing felt. Quieter and cheap.
Hardwood floors expand in the summer and shrink in the winter. So the boards loosen over time. Rosin paper or roof felt help marginalize the squeaks.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - Stwood_ - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 05:05 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Yes
I use 15# roofing felt. Quieter and cheap.
Hardwood floors expand in the summer and shrink in the winter. So the boards loosen over time. Rosin paper or roof felt help marginalize the squeaks.

+1

Most use roof felt around here also.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - MsNomer - 07-23-2020

That pine floor is probably worth good money. Sure you want to cover it up?

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - TheCabinetmaker - 07-23-2020

In my house someone nailed down some 3/8 thick skinny flooring over the original floor (which was pine) This prevented one from having a rug in-front of the entry doors. I took it down to the sub-floor, laid paper and put in ash floors that I milled up.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - Snipe Hunter - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 06:05 PM)MsNomer Wrote: That pine floor is probably worth good money.  Sure you want to cover it up?

There's a place in Baltimore that sells reclaimed architectural odds and ends. It's amazing what they can get for old growth southern yellow pine floors... nail holes and all. There's a waiting list for it. I see it in some of the old homes I inspect, pretty stuff. I also see a good bit of American Chestnut logs and timbers used as beams and floor joists. Same with barn timbers although they're almost gone now. The Mennonites will take down a dilapidated barn built with chestnut timbers and build a new barn in it's place with White Oak timbers and metal roof and siding and no money changes hands.

RE: nail down hardwood floor install - KC - 07-24-2020

(07-23-2020, 06:05 PM)MsNomer Wrote: That pine floor is probably worth good money.  Sure you want to cover it up?

I would've pulled it up if we'd done a complete to-the-studs gut.    Decided it wasn't worth it.