Woodnet Forums
Multi-tool blades for caulk removal on composite shower surface - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Multi-tool blades for caulk removal on composite shower surface (/showthread.php?tid=7356988)

Multi-tool blades for caulk removal on composite shower surface - arnman - 08-02-2020

I need to replace a shower door soon.  The shower surround is a composite material.  After removing the old door frame, there will be remnants of silicon caulk = around where the perimeter of the old door was.

I am wondering if there is a multi-tool blade that would be good for removing the caulk without scratching the surface.  I know from experience that silicon caulk can have a tenacious grab and is not always easy to clean up.  I intend to use plastic razor blades if I can't find a faster way.

RE: Multi-tool blades for caulk removal on composite shower surface - Cooler - 08-03-2020

This article discusses removing silicone.  They suggest a "silicone digester" which I never heard of.  Also vinegar, alcohol and WD-40.

https://www.hunker.com/12602900/what-can-be-used-to-dissolve-silicone-caulking

RE: Multi-tool blades for caulk removal on composite shower surface - R Clark - 08-03-2020

I have a couple of rigid stainless steel scraper blades that might do it, but I would test those in an inconspicuous spot first to see if there's any scratching.

I also have some flexible stainless scraper blades for that tool; I think the flex feature of those blades might allow it to wander and dig in to the surface.

I've never had good success on anything with plastic razors; I haven't considered them for any use in a long time.  Maybe they've come out with some new polymer that has improved their performance.

You might want to use some gentle heat (hand-held hair dryer) on the silicone as you're working on it to help soften it up.  That might make the whole process easier.

RE: Multi-tool blades for caulk removal on composite shower surface - arnman - 08-03-2020

Looks like there is no silver bullet. I have heard that Goof Off helps remove silicon - but the fumes are too strong. I might try the alcohol option. Thanks for the information.