Woodnet Forums
Butternut - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Butternut (/showthread.php?tid=7357174)

Butternut - Turner52 - 08-13-2020

I have a chance to pick up some 2x6 rough sawn butternut for a $1 a board foot. I do mostly segmented work using different species to create the pattern. Is it wrth buying or would the light wood not create eneough of a contrast to other woods? Thanks for your replies in advance.

RE: Butternut - iclark - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 03:27 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have a chance to pick up some 2x6 rough sawn butternut for a $1 a board foot. I do mostly segmented work using different species to create the  pattern. Is it wrth buying or would the light wood not create eneough of a contrast to other woods? Thanks for your replies in advance.

No experience with butternut yet, but I would expect that it would be nice with a layer of dark veneer between butternut blocks.

RE: Butternut - Wildwood - 08-14-2020

Without seeing and no experience with Butternut at $1. /board foot would buy a lot! Hard to say without seeing Butternut wood and what other species of wood want to use until laying wood side by side.
https://www.wood-database.com/butternut/

RE: Butternut - greenacres2 - 08-14-2020

Closest mill to me has butternut Select & Better at $6.15/bf for 1" thick (100+ bf price). I'm with Bill--for that money i'd likely buy more than i meant to unless it's totally ratty.
earl

RE: Butternut - Woodshop - 08-14-2020

(08-13-2020, 03:27 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have a chance to pick up some 2x6 rough sawn butternut for a $1 a board foot. I do mostly segmented work using different species to create the  pattern. Is it wrth buying or would the light wood not create eneough of a contrast to other woods? Thanks for your replies in advance.

Butternut is a very soft wood .(Great for carving) mixing it with hardwoods can cause problems

RE: Butternut - Arlin Eastman - 08-14-2020

Only thing I know about the piece I had and made into a vase is that it does not take a polish well.  I put a lot of shellac on it and the wood soaked it up wanting more and more and more and maybe after 10 coats I did a friction polish and it still did not polish up well. 
I did not try lacquer tho.

RE: Butternut - Gary G™ - 08-18-2020

I don’t know about using Butternut for turning.
I’ve used it with Black Walnut in a table—I called it ‘mixed nuts’. Butternut for the aprons.

Can I get some of that?!?

RE: Butternut - Turner52 - 08-19-2020

It's located about 35miles north of Green Bay. If that works for you I will try to find the info for you. I deided to pass after seeing the advice here.

RE: Butternut - crokett™ - 08-19-2020

(08-14-2020, 08:18 AM)Woodshop Wrote: Butternut is a very soft wood .(Great for carving) mixing it with hardwoods can cause problems

Years ago I was buying some wood from a local guy here.  He threw in a couple logs of what he said was butternut.  He said he wasn't going to do anything with it.  I remember it as being a creamy white.  very soft.  Easy to turn but not ideal for turning.  What I had had fairly large pores, like Red Oak, so it needs a sharp tool and then sealed before finishing.