Woodnet Forums
One more bandsaw box - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: One more bandsaw box (/showthread.php?tid=7357738)

One more bandsaw box - shoottmx - 09-13-2020

Had a small gift for a friend that needed a special box. i didn't have material wide enough to make from one piece so did a glue up of cherry and maple. We had discussions here about flocking and I bought a kit with hunter green material but decided that I preferred the look of finished wood to flocked so sanded the inside the best I could by hand after assembly, then added a couple coats of Bush Oil inside and out. After a couple days to dry I rubbed it out with Liberon paste wax and 0000 steel wool. I LOVE the smell of that wax! The knob is kingwood finished with Behlen's friction polish.

Here's the results, sorry I didn't take any process pics. Comments welcomed!

Thanks for looking,

g

[attachment=29570]

[attachment=29571]

[attachment=29572]

[attachment=29573]

[attachment=29574]

RE: One more bandsaw box - BrokenOlMarine - 09-14-2020

That turned out very nice.  Excellent job.

You'll find that sanding the insides of the drawers and the cavities, (lightly here or you get a sloppy fit), is much easier before glue up.

As far as needing a single piece, that's the beauty of bandsaw boxes.  Often some of the most beautiful pieces are the ones cut from layered slabs of complimentary woods. 
Big Grin

RE: One more bandsaw box - shoottmx - 09-14-2020

Thanks Jim,
There's one on my bench in process that was sanded inside before assembly, as will all future boxes. These are a hoot to make, don't take a big time investment and are appreciated by recipients.

The FWW videos by Michael Cullen is informative, interesting, easy to follow and, best of all, free. https://www.finewoodworking.com/videoworkshop/2016/06/make-beautiful-bandsawn-boxes

Thanks again., g

RE: One more bandsaw box - Bill_de - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 08:59 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks Jim,
There's one on my bench in process that was sanded inside before assembly, as will all future boxes. These are a hoot to make, don't take a big time investment and are appreciated by recipients.

The FWW videos by Michael Cullen is informative, interesting, easy to follow and, best of all, free. https://www.finewoodworking.com/videoworkshop/2016/06/make-beautiful-bandsawn-boxes

Thanks again.,  g

I enjoy looking at the bandsaw boxes you are making. Also, thanks for the link to the Fine Woodworking article.

Bill

---

RE: One more bandsaw box - shoottmx - 09-15-2020

(09-14-2020, 08:40 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I enjoy looking at the bandsaw boxes you are making. Also, thanks for the link to the Fine Woodworking article.

Bill

---

(09-14-2020, 11:37 PM)iclark Wrote: It depends on your OS and browser.

If you are using windows, holding down the Ctrl key while clicking the +/= key will make fonts larger.

Ctrl-key and zero key will go back to default font size.

Thanks Bill,
FWW sent out a link to those videos in April, I watched the first one then and decided to revisit when I had time and ambition simultaneously. Glad I did, they're a hoot to make.

g

RE: One more bandsaw box - Arlin Eastman - 09-15-2020

Well done!!  I really like how you made the lighter color come to the points which makes it look better.

RE: One more bandsaw box - shoottmx - 09-15-2020

Thanks Arlin, 17171717
g