Woodnet Forums
Landing and stairs - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Landing and stairs (/showthread.php?tid=7358020)

Landing and stairs - Gary G™ - 09-28-2020

We’re changing our home’s side entrance.
It’s an 8’ wide enclosed, covered screen landing with 2 steps and a long walkway.
The walkway is gone.
Mrs. wants an 8’ X 5’ landing added with steps on the 3 sides.
The landing will be 24” above grade.

The plan was 2 steps per side each connected through the outside corners via angled steps.

Question:
Would it be safer to angle the exterior corners of the landing and have longer angled steps or leave it square?

RE: Landing and stairs - gjohn - 09-29-2020

The question is not clear to me and perhaps others. Or it  might just be me. Can you add a sketch of some sort?

RE: Landing and stairs - tomsteve - 09-29-2020

if you have a 24" rise, i think youre going to want more than 2 steps

RE: Landing and stairs - Mr_Mike - 09-29-2020

2 steps gives an 8 inch rise, right? That should be ok.

I've seen it done without the 45 degree and looks fine. I'd not cut corners on the platform either way.

RE: Landing and stairs - Snipe Hunter - 09-29-2020

A picture would really help

RE: Landing and stairs - Splinter Puller - 09-29-2020

Three treads 11-12" with four 6" risers.  Extend the corners so they meet at a miter.  

This will look the best and you wont have the dangerous tall 8" risers.

RE: Landing and stairs - crokett™ - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 09:07 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Three treads 11-12" with four 6" risers.  Extend the corners so they meet at a miter.  

This will look the best and you wont have the dangerous tall 8" risers.

I understand what you are asking, and I agree that you should put a stringer (or double stringer) at each corner and miter the steps so they meet at the corner.  This will look the best.  I would also go with 6" risers and 3 steps.

RE: Landing and stairs - tomsteve - 09-29-2020

(09-29-2020, 07:03 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: 2 steps gives an 8 inch rise, right?   That should be ok.

I've seen it done without the 45 degree and looks fine.  I'd not cut corners on the platform either way.

i should wake up and get some caffeine before replying. i was thinking a tread and the 2nd being the deck surface= 2 steps.
you might want to look into what code in your area has for rise dimensions. not within code could lead to problems in the future.

RE: Landing and stairs - Gary G™ - 09-29-2020

Code is 7-3/4”. I can adjust the 1/4” per riser.

We have a guy coming to shoot the grade between the driveway and the forthcoming landing.
We expect they’ll recommend a berm several inches high to divert water from running across this entrance from south to north.
Said berm would reduce the height above grade several inches.