Woodnet Forums
In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: In search of thin-kerf riving knife (/showthread.php?tid=7358184)

Pages: 1 2

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - daddo - 10-15-2020

(10-12-2020, 09:46 AM)Alan S Wrote: If you are looking for a piece of metal to cut one out using an angle grinder, the plate of a dull thin kerf blade is perfect.

I've made a riving knife and a few other items from saw blades and old rusty handsaw blades. Good hard material.

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Cooler - 10-16-2020

There are dozens of threads on this subject for this saw.  But no answers.

I would just get a full-thickness saw blade.  I have a thin kerf blade and it is useful for ripping as there is less cutting resistance.  But the narrow kerf means it wants to bind up easier.  I start the cut, and then kill the motor and wedge in a piece of shim stock and then start over again.  A wedge in the cut end is as effective as a riving knife.

You can also make the cut in two passes; only cutting through half the thickness on the first pass to reduce power demands.

But mostly I just use my regular blade.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=qeSJX6rHBaWyggfgvbSAAQ&q=thin+kerf+riving+knife+G1023RLWX&oq=thin+kerf+riving+knife+G1023RLWX&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIFCAAQzQIyBQgAEM0CMgUIABDNAjoECAAQRzoFCAAQyQM6AggAOgYIABAWEB5QkYUBWIqPAWDlmgFoAHACeACAAbkBiAGXApIBAzEuMZgBAKABAaABAqoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjqv9Sq3bnsAhUlmeAKHeAeDRAQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Tony Z - 10-16-2020

I had a similar issue for a Shop Fox cabinet saw: the splitter that came with the saw was not only overly thick, but was also not in line with the saw blade. I bent it as much as I could to align with the blade. Next I had one of my employees surface grind the splitter until it worked. A bit of upfront pain, but it has worked well ever since.

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Cabinet Monkey - 10-17-2020

Quote:There are dozens of threads on this subject for this saw.  But no answers.

um............. I gave the answer back in post 17 of this thread.  
Rolleyes

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Tapper - 10-18-2020

(10-17-2020, 09:50 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: um............. I gave the answer back in post 17 of this thread.  
Rolleyes

Agreed - is the OP still around???

Doug

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Cooler - 10-19-2020

(10-17-2020, 09:50 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: um............. I gave the answer back in post 17 of this thread.  
Rolleyes

??Post 17 is my post.  The first page of this thread seems to start with post #11.  Very confused.

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Cabinet Monkey - 10-20-2020

(10-19-2020, 09:43 AM)Cooler Wrote: ??Post 17 is my post.  The first page of this thread seems to start with post #11.  Very confused.

Can’t help you with the numbering or how our browsers interpret threads.  

The answer was the sixth response to the O.P.’s orig. question.

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - daddo - 10-21-2020

The original post is #18 as I see it.

Sometthin strange a goin on here.

This post is showing #18. WTH?

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - fredhargis - 10-21-2020

(10-21-2020, 01:16 PM)daddo Wrote: The original post is #18 as I see it.

This post is showing #18.    WTH?

It's #19 now. I keep wondering if the OP has a solution from the suggestions.

RE: In search of thin-kerf riving knife - Bill_de - 10-27-2020

(10-21-2020, 01:16 PM)daddo Wrote: The original post is #18 as I see it.

This post is showing #18.    WTH?

This is not new, but maybe random???

https://forums.woodnet.net/printthread.php?tid=7325168