Woodnet Forums
How to fix - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to fix (/showthread.php?tid=7358495)

Pages: 1 2

How to fix - Bill Mains - 10-24-2020

Any suggestions without complete tear down
It's part of opening for attic ladder

RE: How to fix - Snipe Hunter - 10-24-2020

Are you talking about the wracked 2x4? It is wracked or twisted? If it's twisted, take out the ladder. Take a sawzall and cut the nails, including the drywall nails and replace the board. Patch the old nail holes in the drywall.

If it's wracked: Drill a hole through it abd stick a heavy screwdriver through the hole and straighten it. Add a galvanized corner bracket (something like this) at each end and screw it in.

RE: How to fix - toolmiser - 10-24-2020

If it's the 2 x how about putting a 2 x 8 or something substantial spanning the others and using some construction screws to pull it back into place and install a corner bracket like suggested? Then you could remove the 2 x

RE: How to fix - Willyou - 10-24-2020

Remove enough flooring (probably over to the next joist) so that you can get to it. It is probably out of whack for it's entire length. You will also have to remove the screws than hold the stair frame to it. As mentioned above, cut the nails at either end, straighten it up and fasten it back with screws (pocket screw fashion). Re-install screws holding stair frame.

RE: How to fix - Bill Mains - 10-25-2020

It's my son's in granbury texas. Problem is in upper right of picture.you can see where the 2x6 is slanted. He's not sure if there is even any nails into the slanted 2x6. Because of medical issues right now unable to go help. I live in south Dakota.

RE: How to fix - EightFingers - 10-25-2020

Put a 24” Bessey (or similar) clamp on that 2x to twist it, then secure the board. You can get some amazing leverage with those clamps.

RE: How to fix - Phil Thien - 10-25-2020

I've been known to use the little Kreg pocket hole jig and some screws to firm something like that up.

Obviously if it can be straightened/aligned, all the better.  But it sort of looks like it was hammered over in order to make the ladder fit.

I wouldn't tear into it unless it was causing a problem downstream.

RE: How to fix - Snipe Hunter - 10-26-2020

(10-25-2020, 10:40 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I've been known to use the little Kreg pocket hole jig and some screws to firm something like that up.

Me too

RE: How to fix - Bill Mains - 10-26-2020

Thanks for all the suggestions. He took up the flooring n found the 2x6 was just laying there and not attached at either end. He straitened it up and attached it at both ends.

RE: How to fix - Snipe Hunter - 10-27-2020

(10-26-2020, 03:05 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions.  He took up the flooring n found the 2x6 was just laying there and not attached at either end. He straitened it up and attached it at both ends.

Don't ya just want to smack somebody?