Woodnet Forums
First thought that comes to your mind. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: First thought that comes to your mind. (/showthread.php?tid=7358532)

Pages: 1 2

First thought that comes to your mind. - weelis - 10-26-2020

when i ask you how to finish a bedside table made out of cherry.  16x16.  No thinking allowed/ Thnx.

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - R Clark - 10-26-2020

Danish oil.

No thought allowed?  No problem.  I lost my mind a long time ago.  
Big Grin

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - jteneyck - 10-26-2020

(10-26-2020, 03:07 PM)weelis Wrote: when i ask you how to finish a bedside table made out of cherry.  16x16.  No thinking allowed/ Thnx.

Arm-R-Seal or Waterlox for hand application.  TC's EM-2000 for spraying.  

John

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - Admiral - 10-27-2020

Oil based poly cut 50-50 with MS for wipe on, your choice of sheen....

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - John Mihich - 10-27-2020

I spray a coat of shellac and then wipe on poly mostly.  Sometimes I go with lacquer.

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - Willyou - 10-27-2020

Equal parts of MS (or turpintine), BLO (or tung oil), and oil based poly (or alkyd varnish if you can find it). Love the look. A bit more durable than danish oil.

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - Rob Young - 10-29-2020

Ummm, I guess I would think about it because cherry can be made to look many different ways. Sapwood, hide or accent. UV protection or no? What else is in the room? Does the "client" like light or dark? Rich red or pale pink? Ease of care? Is there sufficient material to test finish schedule?  Etc., etc., etc.

Can't really get a good finish without thinking.

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - Scoony - 10-30-2020

Minwax Antique oil. Favorite finish for cherry.

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - cputnam - 11-01-2020

Arn-R-Seal and.or shellac. The simplest is what Admiral said - dilute the varnish by half and wipe on. If you are worried about blotching, wipe on a spit coat of shellac and then sand it off, then wipe on the varnish.

RE: First thought that comes to your mind. - zaret - 11-01-2020

my new favorite finish for cherry is Odie's Oil, applied with a buffer.  never felt or seen anything like it.