Woodnet Forums
More Awl turning - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: More Awl turning (/showthread.php?tid=7358632)

More Awl turning - Ron Brese - 10-31-2020

Turned another batch of awls recently. I don't consider myself a great turner and I am certainly unorthodox in my methods. However I turn a lot of what I turn awls, chisel handles, plane knobs, etc. and I'm getting to be a more efficient excavator of wood. These awls have a feature that allows for the removal of the blade for re-grinding/tipping. 

Ron

[Image: diwawloct29.jpg]

[Image: meoct29.jpg]

[Image: cmoct29.jpg]

RE: More Awl turning - bob-t - 10-31-2020

(10-31-2020, 12:30 PM)RonCould you share how your " feature that allows for the removal of the blade for re-grinding/tipping" is done?
Thanks
Bob

Ron Brese Wrote:
Turned another batch of awls recently. I don't consider myself a great turner and I am certainly  unorthodox in my methods. However I turn a lot of what I turn awls, chisel handles, plane knobs, etc. and I'm getting to be a more efficient excavator of wood. These awls have a feature that allows for the removal of the blade for re-grinding/tipping. 

Ron

[Image: diwawloct29.jpg]

[Image: meoct29.jpg]

[Image: cmoct29.jpg]

RE: More Awl turning - Ron Brese - 11-01-2020

The shank of the blade is a close tolerance fit inside the ferrule and the awl cap. There is a 6-32 set screw whose tip engages a notch that is milled into the shank. Once the set screw is tightened the shank can not move. In the lower picture you see that I supply the necessary tool and an extra fastener with these. If you drop a 6-32 x 3/16 set screw they can be quite difficult to locate.

Ron

[Image: awl8-2.jpg]

[Image: awl2-2.jpg]

RE: More Awl turning - bob-t - 11-01-2020

Thanks Ron

(11-01-2020, 09:10 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: The shank of the blade is a close tolerance fit inside the ferrule and the awl cap. There is a 6-32 set screw whose tip engages a notch that is milled into the shank. Once the set screw is tightened the shank can not move. In the lower picture you see that I supply the necessary tool and an extra fastener with these. If you drop a 6-32 x 3/16 set screw they can be quite difficult to locate.

Ron

[Image: awl8-2.jpg]

[Image: awl2-2.jpg]

RE: More Awl turning - FrankAtl - 11-03-2020

Beautiful work Ron!

RE: More Awl turning - 2beast - 11-23-2020

Beautiful awls Ron 
Yes
I would have expected nothing less 
Cool

RE: More Awl turning - Grey Mountain - 11-24-2020

Awl shucks! Them ain't bad!

GM

RE: More Awl turning - FireWood - 01-12-2021

Beautiful work Ron!

Are you using a drill bit for a "blade"

RE: More Awl turning - Big Dave - 02-03-2021

(10-31-2020, 12:30 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: I don't consider myself a great turner...

Maybe not great, but you're not half-bad...
Yes

Beautiful tools, Ron!

Dave