Woodnet Forums
Three-sided stools - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Three-sided stools (/showthread.php?tid=7358787)

Pages: 1 2 3

Three-sided stools - Derek Cohen - 11-08-2020

For the past 25 years, we have lived with these Ikea bench stools in our kitchen ...

[Image: F2.jpg]

We do not eat much at the bench, but they get used. More recently Lynndy suggested that we replace them, and I thought that this would be a good excuse to build something inspired by Wharton Escherick, whose stools are just so organic and profound in their simplicity. 

[Image: WEstool14.jpg]

The design was also influenced by a point made by Lynndy that a fixed-height footrest does not fit everyone. I thought about this and it occurred to me that the stretchers on the Escherick stools could form the basis of a slightly different design - make the seat three-sided, and one could choose the stretcher height to suit. 

The last requirement was that the wood must be Hard Maple, to match the kitchen I built a few years ago. I would have preferred a contrasting top, say in Walnut, but She Who Must Be Obeyed vetoed this. So ...

[Image: F1.jpg]

[Image: F3.jpg]

I did manage to get contrasting wedges for the tenons passed her
Smile

[Image: F4.jpg]

The stretchers ....

[Image: F5.jpg]

One last one ...

[Image: Final.jpg]

I'll am happy to post build photos if there is interest.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Three-sided stools - rectangle618 - 11-08-2020

Very nice work as usual, Derek. I am inspired to make a couple of those now and would be very interested to see some of your build photos. I'll be using black cherry for mine.

RE: Three-sided stools - Ron Brese - 11-08-2020

Very nice.

Differing heights on the cross stretchers is a great idea. Much improved photography is nice as well.

Ron

RE: Three-sided stools - Hank Knight - 11-08-2020

Those are very attractive stools, Derek. I like them a lot. Nice work.

RE: Three-sided stools - Derek Cohen - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 10:04 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: Very nice.

Differing heights on the cross stretchers is a great idea. Much improved photography is nice as well.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

The stretchers are Wharton Escherick's idea. The photography is courtesy of an iPhone 11 Plus and Photoshop Elements.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Three-sided stools - Derek Cohen - 11-08-2020

Thanks Hank
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Three-sided stools - Aram - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 08:08 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I'll am happy to post build photos if there is interest.

Yes please

Very nice, Derek. Clean design and excellent craftsmanship.

RE: Three-sided stools - Howard Pollack - 11-08-2020

Both a very clever design and attractive too!  -Howard

RE: Three-sided stools - dry heat - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 11:00 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Both a very clever design and attractive too!  -Howard

Would like to see the build espicially the seat shaping.
Thanks, E. Sims

RE: Three-sided stools - MauleSkinner - 11-08-2020

Very nice!

What heights did you select from stretcher to seat on each side?