Woodnet Forums
General International TS motor swap - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: General International TS motor swap (/showthread.php?tid=7358801)

Pages: 1 2

General International TS motor swap - scpapa - 11-08-2020

I have a GI TS with a 2 HP motor. I find if I use it to cut up several sheets of 1/2 plywood, it shuts off to cool down. My 3 HP Craftsman never had a problem. What is your recommendations for a 3 HP motor to replace it?

Rick

RE: General International TS motor swap - TDKPE - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 04:45 PM)scpapa Wrote: I have a GI TS with a 2 HP motor. I find if I use it to cut up several sheets of 1/2 plywood, it shuts off to cool down. My 3 HP Craftsman never had a problem. What is your recommendations for a 3 HP motor to replace it?

Rick

There’s something wrong with your 2 hp motor.  Cutting plywood is easy work for any TS.  

Pop off the drive belt, run the motor, shut it off, and listen for the centrifugal switch to click back in.  Also pop off the capacitor cover(s); probably has two, since it’s 2 hp (run cap along with start cap) and check for swelling and/or leakage.  

Spin the arbor, with the belt still off, to see if it spins easily.  

Lastly, is it on an extension cord?  Receptacle far from the panel?  Ever check the voltage?  
Do you have a clamp-on ammeter?

RE: General International TS motor swap - scpapa - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 05:42 PM)TDKPE Wrote: There’s something wrong with your 2 hp motor.  Cutting plywood is easy work for any TS.  

Pop off the drive belt, run the motor, shut it off, and listen for the centrifugal switch to click back in.  Also pop off the capacitor cover(s); probably has two, since it’s 2 hp (run cap along with start cap) and check for swelling and/or leakage.  

Spin the arbor, with the belt still off, to see if it spins easily.  

Lastly, is it on an extension cord?  Receptacle far from the panel?  Ever check the voltage?  
Do you have a clamp-on ammeter?
Thanks for the reply. I figure something is wrong with the motor. I'll try your suggestions early in the week. Short extension cord, not far from receptacle. Alas, no clamp on ammeter (probably wouldn't know how to use it).

RE: General International TS motor swap - Bill_de - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 04:45 PM)scpapa Wrote: I have a GI TS with a 2 HP motor. I find if I use it to cut up several sheets of 1/2 plywood, it shuts off to cool down. My 3 HP Craftsman never had a problem. What is your recommendations for a 3 HP motor to replace it?

Rick

How's the blade? Could it be causing the motor to be over worked?

--

RE: General International TS motor swap - scpapa - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 06:31 PM)Bill_de Wrote: How's the blade? Could it be causing the motor to be over worked?

--

Same blade I used on the Craftsman. Thin kerf.

RE: General International TS motor swap - scpapa - 11-09-2020

Took the Capacitor covers off. The caps seemed fine, but one (the shorter cap) was packed with saw dust. Could that cause it to overheat and shut down? The gasket was mis-shapened and didn't seal; I reinstalled the cover and taped the outside to seal it.

Rick

RE: General International TS motor swap - TDKPE - 11-09-2020

(11-09-2020, 12:57 PM)scpapa Wrote: Took the Capacitor covers off. The caps seemed fine, but one (the shorter cap) was packed with saw dust. Could that cause it to overheat and shut down? The gasket was mis-shapened and didn't seal; I reinstalled the cover and taped the outside to seal it.

Rick

Not directly, but it is suggestive of dust inside the motor.  Even if it looks like it’s a TEFC motor, some Asian imports actually have a large opening under the fan and admit a large amount of dust, which can make the centrifugal switch sticky, and/or just slow down cooling.

I’d suggest taking the fan cover and fan off to see what’s under there.  Might be as simple as blowing it out good with compressed air.  

Unless it’s an open frame motor, in which case you need to blow it out for sure.

RE: General International TS motor swap - toolmiser - 11-09-2020

You mention using a "short extension cord" Is it nice heavy gauge wire such as 12 gauge and not 16? It can make a real difference. Think of it like a water hose, you can only push so much water thru a hose unless you have a larger one.

RE: General International TS motor swap - scpapa - 11-09-2020

(11-09-2020, 08:19 PM)toolmiser Wrote: You mention using a "short extension cord"  Is it nice heavy gauge wire such as 12 gauge and not 16?  It can make a real difference.  Think of it like a water hose, you can only push so much water thru a hose unless you have a larger one.

14 ga, but I can go to a 12 ga.

Thanks

RE: General International TS motor swap - Ohio Mike - 11-10-2020

Rick

Just curious...... Is the 2 horsepower General International table saw running on 110 volts or 220 volts?