Woodnet Forums
Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? (/showthread.php?tid=7358877)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - Aram - 11-13-2020

(11-13-2020, 12:06 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: If you’re going to go cordless , this is the router to have:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-palm-routers-gkf12v-25n-196784-p/

The others are good routers, they’re just worse compromises in my view.  Top heavy, low run time (comparatively), dust collection hit/miss.  And if you use a vac hose , might as well have a corded one anyway.

Check into the new Milwaukee.  It’s the latest one in the category and has great early feedback.

It is fantastic.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - zaret - 11-15-2020

(11-13-2020, 01:24 PM)Aram Wrote: It is fantastic.

i have a bunch of trim routers, including the colt, and two of the milwaukees.  when i reach for one now, 99% of the time it's one of the milwaukees.  good routers.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - EdL - 11-17-2020

If I were doing more countertop work, there would be a cordless one in the shop.

Last ones we built, my friend brought his cordless brad nailer for the build-up. It was so nice not fighting an air hose even though we were in the shop.

Ed

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - overland - 11-17-2020

I ended up getting the Makita, because I already have a drill and small circular saw. The saw isn't very powerful but it's handy for the small jobs that I use it for.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - DieselDennis - 11-17-2020

(11-12-2020, 04:38 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I purchased the Dewalt 20v trim router and I love it.  No more chasing cords.  Its impressive how long the batteries last.

Previous to that, the cordless sander is even more impressive.  I've used mine for a few years and I've given two of my corded sanders away.

Another great tool to go cordless is the jigsaw.  No more herding cords on large curved cuts.   I have no regrets on making the switch.

What battery are you using?  I'm thinking a big battery would make it top heavy.  And maybe a small 1.5 or 2 ah battery might be ok.  

Not that I need it or anything, but there was a local guy yesterday selling a bare tool DeWalt cordless router for $100.  I looked at it for a while, but decided I probably didn't need the thing.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - BloomingtonMike - 11-17-2020

I own the makita lxt cordless, a colt, and a 611 dewalt in the small router category. Dewalt kit with plunge base is nices. Makita is super handy. Colt i loan out but is is ok.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - ajkoontz - 11-17-2020

(11-11-2020, 08:37 PM)overland Wrote: I was thinking of getting a Bosch palm router, which is corded. Then I saw that Makita makes a small cordless 18v router. Any recommendations? I do have some other 18v Makita products, including a small circular saw which I've found pretty handy.

I also have some 18V Makita tools so I bought the cordless Makita. I believe the bare tool was about the same price as the corded Bosch. It's great for what I use it for, which is mainly keeping a small roundover bit in it. Like others have said, keep your expectations for power low and you won't be disappointed. I typically use it 5-10 minutes at a time and never really had a job where running down the battery was an issue. I have plenty of other corded routers, so the cordless filled a niche for me. I've found it to be pretty handy and I would buy it again.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - mongo - 11-19-2020

I have the 18v Makita and its great. I also got the plunge and several other bases for it. The ones from the corded router fit so there are lots of options.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - Ros Tress - 12-16-2021

For a handheld, I would have no problem with Makita XTR01Z 18V LXT cordless. Won't get caught while you're trying to keep a smooth consistent pass going. Since you already have the batteries, if the prices of the two options were fairly close, I would lean towards cordless.
Check here to details about this router.

RE: Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless? - RPE1 - 12-17-2021

(11-11-2020, 08:37 PM)overland Wrote: I was thinking of getting a Bosch palm router, which is corded. Then I saw that Makita makes a small cordless 18v router. Any recommendations? I do have some other 18v Makita products, including a small circular saw which I've found pretty handy.

I just purchased a Ridgid corded 5.5 amp trim router.  It has everything you need on it.  $99 on line from Home Depot.  Delivered to my door.  It also comes with a palm sander (free).  Just the router costs $129 normally. It's your money.

RP