Woodnet Forums
Dresser Project Done! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dresser Project Done! (/showthread.php?tid=7358933)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dresser Project Done! - lincmercguy - 11-15-2020

Second dresser is done!  It's a bit darker than the pictures show, I have a lot of light in the shop.  I like how it came out.  It took me a bit to figure the structure out.  This is the first project that I've used epoxy to fill knots and purposely keep them in the project.  I like how they turned out, much better than putty.  I also really like the material savings with today's prices.

I actually got this one done in a decent amount of time.  I started in late July, and did other projects in between.  I probably could have finished in a couple of months if I only worked on this.

[attachment=31015]

[attachment=31016]

[attachment=31017]

[attachment=31018]

[attachment=31019]

[attachment=31020]

RE: Dresser Project Done! - KC - 11-15-2020

Came out real nice.  
Yes

RE: Dresser Project Done! - fredhargis - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 06:24 AM)KC Wrote: Came out real nice.  
Yes

It certainly did, love it! To me the knots are an attractive part of the wood, even though most of the world considers them "defects".

RE: Dresser Project Done! - badwhiskey - 11-15-2020

Looks great! I love knots and defects. How do you like those slides? I'm tempted to try them on a dresser project.

RE: Dresser Project Done! - oakey - 11-15-2020

Really nice
wood defects give projects real character
I also would like to hear your take on the undermount slides
Oakey

RE: Dresser Project Done! - MarkSingleton - 11-15-2020

Beautiful work!! Well done.

RE: Dresser Project Done! - jteneyck - 11-15-2020

Very nicely done.  I like the proportions, details, and workmanship.  The ambrosia maple for the drawers adds a hidden treat, too.  I'm not a fan of knots in a piece like this, but that's just me.  

John

RE: Dresser Project Done! - efmrrt - 11-15-2020

Very Nice! Clean lines.

RE: Dresser Project Done! - lincmercguy - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 11:05 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Very nicely done.  I like the proportions, details, and workmanship.  The ambrosia maple for the drawers adds a hidden treat, too.  I'm not a fan of knots in a piece like this, but that's just me.  

Thanks.

The ambrosia maple was kind of happenstance for this one.  When I went to get a supply of QSRO and soft maple, the yard was having a good sale on the ambrosia maple.  I got that for the project instead.  The drawer bottoms are just Lowes 1/2" maple plywood.  It's not the greatest, but works for drawer bottoms.

I think the one small knot on the outside is okay for this.  I wouldn't want to use a bunch of knotty wood for it.  I don't mind using the knotty pieces for drawer boxes, now that I know how to strengthen them with epoxy.

RE: Dresser Project Done! - lincmercguy - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 08:55 AM)oakey Wrote: Really nice
  wood defects give projects real character
I also would like to hear your take on the undermount slides
Oakey

I like them so far.  They are pricey and you have to use false fronts, but they work really well.  They sell a style that also has an adjustable depth stop for flush drawers.  You also either have to make the drawer boxes a certain size in 3" increments or add a filler piece on the bottom to allow for a slightly longer drawer.  It's not a big deal, but I was nervous about getting it right the first time I used them.  They have a detailed data sheet that helps, but it's better if you have a set of slides in hand before you design so you can understand everything.