Woodnet Forums
shop vac advice - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: shop vac advice (/showthread.php?tid=7359052)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: shop vac advice - Handplanesandmore - 12-16-2020

(12-15-2020, 12:37 AM)Tapper Wrote: Lost track of Norm; can you elaborate, please?

Thanks,

Doug

In one interview, he revealed that he had chronic sinus conditions that required surgery, believed to be caused by wood dust.

Simon

RE: shop vac advice - Cabinet Monkey - 12-19-2020

(12-13-2020, 05:46 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote:  What was the point of paying three times the price of a Ridgid or Shopvac if you still had to wear earmuffs?
For the airplane-like Ridgid, you can build a box to house it, and youtube has various sound-proofing ways to do it.
Simon

Besides the reduction in sound , and I disagree with you re: CT's being too noisy -

those vacs have: variable suction, concealed filters, which make bag swaps a lot easier and cleaner, better and longer hoses, onboard hose storage - which isn't much if you're not transporting the vac, an aux electrical receptacle that is tool activated to turn on the vac when the connected tool is powered on, and flat tops which in addition to latching their tool boxes makes for a handy spot to set down a saw or sander or whatever.   One can never have too many landing spots in a shop.

As to earmuffs, you're kidding right ?  
Confused        If you're using a power tool that warrants attaching a vac too, it's making more noise than the vac.  So, you you need hearing protection anyway.   There are a few sanders that I've used that are very quiet and don't generate enough noise to require protection, but pretty much everything else does.

RE: shop vac advice - thewalnutguy - 12-22-2020

(11-21-2020, 10:29 AM)jcousins2 Wrote: My old shop-vac is dying and have to replace it – shop-vac company has closed – looking for any recommendations?

And is anyone using a newer craftsman – that’s what available locally?

Thanks for your info.
jerry

some years ago I bought a Tornado vacuum at a flea market for about $20, and it easily out performs a much newer Milwaukee vacuum of about the same size (roughly 5 gallon tank). It has no internal filter, and I had to add a filter bag to the exhaust port. It later developed motor problems (screaching noise), took it to a motor service company which charged $100 for refurb of the motor including, and never regretted paying that price to have it restored. I later found another Tornado at a garage sale for $10. That one was on a 55 gallon drum. The head plate of the vacuum has a covered port which could accept a second motor if I ever wanted to do that. Motors for both vacuums are quick twist-lock units. Putting a second motor on the 55 gallon unit would require using two 110 volt outlets on separate circuits as they are both 15 amp motors. These vacuums are far from quiet, and I normally wear ear muffs when using them for more than just a quick pick up.

RE: shop vac advice - Handplanesandmore - 12-22-2020

(12-19-2020, 11:04 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Besides the reduction in sound , and I disagree with you re: CT's being too noisy - those vacs have: variable suction, concealed filters, which make bag swaps a lot easier and cleaner, better and longer hoses

-- You forgot to mention the price tag that goes with that. Not everyone really use or need those bonuses...and for those who don't, the Ridgid, Shopvac, etc. are better deals.

As to earmuffs, you're kidding right ?  
Confused        If you're using a power tool that warrants attaching a vac too, it's making more noise than the vac.

-- Isn't that exactly my point? They promote noise level as one of the great features, but in fact, one is paying extra money on a feature that one can't benefit from at all. You wear hearing protection whether it's CT or a Craftsman.

Simon

RE: shop vac advice - Cabinet Monkey - 01-02-2021

Quote:- Isn't that exactly my point? They promote noise level as one of the great features, but in fact, one is paying extra money on a feature that one can't benefit from at all. You wear hearing protection whether it's CT or a Craftsman. 
I have no idea.   What you wrote seemed silly on the surface.   You said you had to use earmuffs while using your CT by itself.    That just isn't the case for most people.   Are you or your spouse wearing ear protection while using your household vac ?

And reduced noise isn't the only advantage, it's simply one of many. It's not as if any of those quiet(er) euro vacs are leading their marketing campaigns with "we're less noisy and annoying than a shop vac " .

Which, they do happen to be. 
Yes

Wheter you ,or anyone else, values that attribute or is willing to pay for it is another matter entirely.