Woodnet Forums
Sliders stuck - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sliders stuck (/showthread.php?tid=7359307)

Pages: 1 2

Sliders stuck - brookbend - 12-04-2020

These vertical sliders will hold tools. But they get stuck, because the plywood panels keeps warping. Never thought plywood warps.

Every day I mill out the wooden wheel channels (bottom, and top) and they get better, to only get worse over night. I'm chasing my tail.

Anyone got a remedy?

RE: Sliders stuck - iclark - 12-04-2020

Are there actually wheels involved?

RE: Sliders stuck - MarkSingleton - 12-05-2020

Modify the plywood. Edge it with solid wood.

RE: Sliders stuck - Phil Thien - 12-05-2020

Replace them with plywood that is stable.

RE: Sliders stuck - fredhargis - 12-05-2020

Maybe remake the channels out of one of the slick plastics???? That should allow even a tight fitting (warped) panel slide out (I think). Otherwise I would try to find some good baltic birch and use it.

RE: Sliders stuck - brookbend - 12-05-2020

(12-04-2020, 09:17 PM)iclark Wrote: Are there actually wheels involved?

yes. you can see them on the front, bottom. they're also on the top, seen but less visible.

RE: Sliders stuck - rschissler - 12-05-2020

Sometimes they can get stuck when the panels are too small.  Like when you don't pull it out straight.  Are you sure that's not the case here?

RE: Sliders stuck - brookbend - 12-05-2020

(12-05-2020, 11:09 AM)rschissler Wrote: Sometimes they can get stuck when the panels are too small.  Like when you don't pull it out straight.  Are you sure that's not the case here?

no. the sliders can often get stuck immediately as you try pulling them out. and we put wheels far enough forward to prevent the slider's tops from hitting the roof of the cabinet when pulled out.
in fact they slide well for a while when we open the channels.

RE: Sliders stuck - Stwood_ - 12-05-2020

Will they flip over? Put bow up for a while?
Just to see if they will flatten out

RE: Sliders stuck - wood-chips - 12-06-2020

(12-04-2020, 08:30 PM)brookbend Wrote: These vertical sliders will hold tools. But they get stuck, because the plywood panels keeps warping. Never thought plywood warps.

If you are already having trouble with them sliding now, have you considered that the problem may be exasperated when the panels are loaded with heavy tools? Perhaps doubling up the sliders may help?