Woodnet Forums
Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench (/showthread.php?tid=7359372)

Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench - frule - 12-08-2020

I have a bench that sits on our porch in the sun, but no rain. I need a UV resistant varnish, lacquer, polyurethane, etc.
finish. Prefer something that's not complicated to apply. Any recommendations?  

Thanks!!

RE: Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench - brianwelch - 12-08-2020

Try a marine-grade spar varnish/polyurethane. Not water based...

RE: Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench - fredhargis - 12-08-2020

The true spar varnishes is what you want, but that's nothing from a box store...and it's especially nothing with urethane resins in it. The best ones are the marine spar varnishes, but even they will need maintenance over time (anything you use will). One consumer brand I just tries this past summer on a redwood glider my wife has is the McCloskey Man'O'War spar. One summer is hardly proof of anything, but so far it's doing good. Past that look for something like Epifanes or the other marine brands.

RE: Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench - jteneyck - 12-08-2020

The easiest product to use is General Finishes Exterior 450.  Waterborne with good UV package, it'll stand up well in an application where it's not subjected to direct rain.  Goes on great with a brush or spray.  On the other end of the ease of use spectrum is Epifanes Marine varnish, an oil based product.  It's more amber and takes 7 coats to do it right.  But it sure is durable.  Target Coatings makes a very nice exterior waterborne varnish, too, now that I think of it.  EM-9300 I think it's called.  Nice amber tint to it.  

John

RE: Looking for an amber colored outdoor coating for bench - frule - 12-09-2020

(12-08-2020, 06:54 AM)frule Wrote: I have a bench that sits on our porch in the sun, but no rain. I need a UV resistant varnish, lacquer, polyurethane, etc.
finish. Prefer something that's not complicated to apply. Any recommendations?  

Thanks!!

Thanks, guys,

Lots of good suggestions!