Woodnet Forums
Workbench Complete - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Workbench Complete (/showthread.php?tid=7359487)

Pages: 1 2

Workbench Complete - lincmercguy - 12-14-2020

I posted a while ago about my workbench/tool space.  I decided to build a workbench with drawers.  Here's the build:

I was actually pretty impressed with the HD 3/4 ply for the price.  For the drawer bottoms, I used 1/2" ply form the same store.  One sheet was 7/16" and the second was 15/32".  It wasn't a big deal, but I just had to route different size dados for the different drawer bottoms.

[attachment=31611]

[attachment=31612]

[attachment=31613]

I had my son cut and sand the hand-pull cutouts for the bulk of the upper drawers.  He's qualified to run the scroll saw and sander.  He did a pretty good job, just had a tough time getting everything even.

[attachment=31614]

[attachment=31615]

[attachment=31616]

[attachment=31617]

I saw this idea online, and went with it.  In one spot, I left the top drawer out for taller items.  I have the drawer, so I can add it back if needed.  Most of these drawers are for tool storage from my rolling toolbox.

[attachment=31618]

[attachment=31619]

I moved the old bench for my wife to use for her craft stuff and stuck some hardboard on top.

[attachment=31620]

RE: Workbench Complete - Bill_de - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 02:38 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: I posted a while ago about my workbench/tool space.  I decided to build a workbench with drawers.  Here's the build:

I was actually pretty impressed with the HD 3/4 ply for the price.  For the drawer bottoms, I used 1/2" ply form the same store.  One sheet was 7/16" and the second was 15/32".  It wasn't a big deal, but I just had to route different size dados for the different drawer bottoms.

I had my son cut and sand the hand-pull cutouts for the bulk of the upper drawers.  He's qualified to run the scroll saw and sander.  He did a pretty good job, just had a tough time getting everything even.

I saw this idea online, and went with it.  In one spot, I left the top drawer out for taller items.  I have the drawer, so I can add it back if needed.  Most of these drawers are for tool storage from my rolling toolbox.

I moved the old bench for my wife to use for her craft stuff and stuck some hardboard on top.

Kudos to you and your son. You've got an impressive bench!

--

RE: Workbench Complete - fredhargis - 12-14-2020

Nicely done! (17)

RE: Workbench Complete - jteneyck - 12-14-2020

That should serve you well.  The two drawers with one drawer front is a very clever idea.  

No vise?

John

RE: Workbench Complete - lincmercguy - 12-14-2020

"That should serve you well. The two drawers with one drawer front is a very clever idea. "

It was not mine, I saw it on the innerweb in a random workbench picture.

"No vise?"

I have a front vise in another workbench. I'd like to add an end vise to that one. For this one, I might add a small bench vise.

RE: Workbench Complete - shoottmx - 12-14-2020

That's a doggone good looking bench. Good on you for including your son on the project.

g

RE: Workbench Complete - stav - 12-14-2020

Great bench. .........

RE: Workbench Complete - jteneyck - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 05:23 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "That should serve you well.  The two drawers with one drawer front is a very clever idea. "

It was not mine, I saw it on the innerweb in a random workbench picture.

"No vise?"

I have a front vise in another workbench. I'd like to add an end vise to that one. For this one, I might add a small bench vise.

I got that, but it's still a clever idea.  And you get kudos for remembering it when it came time to build your bench.  

John

RE: Workbench Complete - lincmercguy - 12-14-2020

"I got that, but it's still a clever idea. And you get kudos for remembering it when it came time to build your bench."

I'm one of those people who likes to ensure the proper party gets credit for things.

RE: Workbench Complete - Tapper - 12-15-2020

Very nicely done, and I like your help! 
Yes Masonite makes a nice work surface. I used it on a row of built-in shop cabinets I made last winter and it has worked out nicely. 

Great that you got your son involved!

Doug