Woodnet Forums
Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces (/showthread.php?tid=7359599)

Pages: 1 2 3

Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - stoppy - 12-19-2020

In the coming year I will be doing several projects with smaller pieces. In the past I’ve used my 12” bandsaw with a 1/8” 14 TPI blade. The results are decent but still require a good deal of sanding. A woodworker acquaintance who has done these same types of projects for years says a scroll saw is much better and cuts way down on sanding. 

I’m considering adding a scroll saw but would not invest the kind of money he has in his saw. I’m looking for a decent but less inexpensive model. Recommendations/suggestions please. Or is the bandsaw using a 1/8 blade just as good? I just seem to go thru blades awful fast.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - oakey - 12-19-2020

stoppy
scroll saws can use up blades fast to depending on your project
band saw is usually much faster if that is a concern
i have both and would say they each have there place
i have an old school delta from a school it is ok certainly not up there with the latest and greatest
but built like a tank and works very well for my use and best of all i am cheap and paid 25 bucks for it years ago
i find it useful but i am kinda a tool nut and try to have one of everything
good thing i ran out of space

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - mdhills - 12-20-2020

Check craigslist.  In this area, there are almost always a couple up for sale.
I picked up a 16" excalibur pretty reasonably.  (mostly to do some projects with my son)
Scroll saws have a narrow blade and usually high tpi, which can leave a finer finish than most bandsaw blades,
but I feel it is a bit easier to get smooth arcs with the wider bandsaw blade.
Scrollsaws are not great for cutting thick wood -- they just don't clear the sawdust as well as a bandsaw.
Matt

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - stoppy - 12-20-2020

(12-19-2020, 10:14 PM)oakey Wrote: stoppy
i have an old school delta from a school it is ok certainly not up there with the latest and greatest
but built like a tank and works very well for my use and best of all i am cheap and paid 25 bucks for it years ago
i find it useful  but i am kinda a tool nut and try to have one of everything

Many of the items will be people and animals, most will be from 1/2” material or less.  A few will be 3/4 inch. I looked on Craigslist and what was available was more than I want to spend. For the time being I probably will stick with the bandsaw and 1/8” blades for the upcoming projects. One of the Christmas gifts I made required interior cuts which was what got me thinking of the scroll saw. I did what I do for bandsaw boxes enter from the outside and glue the cut shut. It worked out fine, the glue line is nearly invisible.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - Bill Wilson - 12-20-2020

Sounds like a scroll saw would be ideal for what you want to do.  Keep in mind though that while they will make incredibly tight turns and smooth cuts, they do not cut fast, compared to a bandsaw.  Also consider the blades as consumables, like sandpaper.  By them on-line, usually for around $3 per dozen.  Even cheaper if you buy in bulk.

As for scroll saws, I don't know what your price range is, but your best bet is to find a used one.  Cheap scroll saws can be an exercise in frustration and have pushed people away from the hobby.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - aquaticjim - 12-20-2020

Scroll saws really do not sell for a lot of money.  They are on par with the desirability of radial arm saws.  Since it is free to list items on Craigslist, why not ask for a lot of money.  One of the older Powermatic or Delta 24" models can be had for $100 to $150 if you bide your time.  And for the small detailed cutting, a scroll saw is a much better choice than a bandsaw.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - David G - 12-20-2020

I am learning the art of intarsia and added a scroll saw.  Also traded in the 19" Grizzly bandsaw for a Pegas scroll bandsaw.  Each has it's place.  The scroll saw is limited to a 2" max cut and is really best at 1" or less.  But it can cut an inside circle, where a bandsaw is limited to outside curves. I have been cutting bandsaw boxes today.  The little blade can cut a 5" thick maple chunk and turn a 1/4" circle in the middle.  Down right fun.

The "flex drum" sanders make smoothing curves fast and easy.  Add a couple of mop sanders and hand sanding is almost eliminated.

Scroll saws are pretty cheap.  Delta, Dewalt?, Excaliber, Hegner, Pegas are all good brands.  They are seen as "crafty" machines rather than woodworking machines.  They are safe enough that my wife and grandkids play with them.  A great entry into making sawdust.  Experienced scrollers make awesome art pieces.  I think you would enjoy one for small pieces.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - iclark - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 05:26 AM)stoppy Wrote: Many of the items will be people and animals, most will be from 1/2” material or less.  A few will be 3/4 inch. I looked on Craigslist and what was available was more than I want to spend. For the time being I probably will stick with the bandsaw and 1/8” blades for the upcoming projects. One of the Christmas gifts I made required interior cuts which was what got me thinking of the scroll saw. I did what I do for bandsaw boxes enter from the outside and glue the cut shut. It worked out fine, the glue line is nearly invisible.

Not what you were asking about, but, ...

If you only have a few interior cuts to make, then a hand scroll/coping saw could change the nearly invisible glue line into the non-existent glue line.
Winkgrin 

Apologies for suggesting a hand tool in this forum.
Big Grin 

I currently have 2 Hegner and 1 Shopsmith scrollsaws. One Hegner is in great shape and very gently used that I got from a former (now retired) co-worker. The other Hegner is a project waiting for attention because the flexible plastic parts (like the air pump) rotted out before I got it on a GSA auction. I suspect that some of the end-of-the-day cleaning compounds were not plastic friendly. I have used the one Hegner for a few projects and I have been very happy with it. So happy that I bought the project one to fix up for a family member. The SS scrollsaw came as part of a package on a used SS and I haven't gotten around to using it yet. It does have good reviews from back in the day.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - John Mihich - 12-22-2020

I use my SS way more than my BS.  I leave a 1/2 on my BS - so it's really not good for small pieces.  I have the Dewalt SS - this is my third over the years.  Big advantage of the SS is the tight curves you can cut and almost perfectly smooth cuts.  I just finished 24 hardwood names (3/4") and only broke 2 blades - first one in a couple of years.  The SS is slower and has a dept limit of 1 1/2" but for me that's just fine.  The other advantage - it can cut inside holes. 

For me - I would go for a SS first.  Buy the biggest one you can.  Mine is 20" and I sometimes get to that limit.  Buy used - if need be.  On the blades - I use what is recommended on the packages.  Also for the blades - if you find yourself breaking a lot - tighten the tension. 

I use to make craft cuts outs for a couple of ladies - hundreds a year.  I paid for my BS many times over.  With the SS - just about no sanding.  I first started using my BS and found the sanding took longer than using the SS.

RE: Bandsaw vs. scroll saw for small pieces - Pirate - 12-23-2020

(12-19-2020, 10:14 PM)oakey Wrote: stoppy
i find it useful  but i am kinda a tool nut and try to have one of everything

are you talking about having an old Delta scroll saw or band saw?