Woodnet Forums
Odd Plumbing Problem - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Odd Plumbing Problem (/showthread.php?tid=7359677)

Odd Plumbing Problem - crokett™ - 12-24-2020

If the toilet in the master bathroom is filling and I turn on one of the lavatory sinks, the toilet starts to whine a little.  If I turn off the sink the whining stops.  If the toilet is not filling, the whining is not there.  My assumption is its related to water volume (when the lav is running there's a bit less water for the toilet).   I'm not sure this is really a problem.

RE: Odd Plumbing Problem - blackhat - 12-24-2020

Turn the radio up a bit. You won’t notice the noise from the toilet.

RE: Odd Plumbing Problem - blackhat - 12-24-2020

If it has a fill valve with an arm and float, see if there is an adjustment screw to allow the arm to fall a bit further down, or reduce how far it can fall. One or the other should kill the noise.

RE: Odd Plumbing Problem - Stwood_ - 12-24-2020

Probably not enough water volume in the line to fill the terloit and use the sink at the same time, full tilt.

RE: Odd Plumbing Problem - Willyou - 12-24-2020

You might check the shut-off valve to the toilet. If it has a replaceable washer, it may be loose or worn. Sometimes they will sing or vibrate under certain water flow conditions. Also, make sure the shut-off valve it tight in the on position. Sometime that will make a difference.

RE: Odd Plumbing Problem - Robert Adams - 12-24-2020

Have run into that in old houses. Usually due to the pipes not flowing enough volume of water for the demand and the pressure drops in the line. It can cause some goofy things even noises at old faucet washer style shower valves. 
            Really common on older houses with galvanized water pipes as they crud up on the inside and really restrict flow. A 3/4 pipe can easily choke down to 1/4" over time.

RE: Odd Plumbing Problem - Bob10 - 12-25-2020

(12-24-2020, 06:39 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Have run into that in old houses. Usually due to the pipes not flowing enough volume of water for the demand and the pressure drops in the line. It can cause some goofy things even noises at old faucet washer style shower valves. 
            Really common on older houses with galvanized water pipes as they crud up on the inside and really restrict flow. A 3/4 pipe can easily choke down to 1/4" over time.

If I had to bet I would bet on what is written above.  Might be time to consider changing the pipes or at least giving them a go look over.