Woodnet Forums
shed questions - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: shed questions (/showthread.php?tid=7360025)

Pages: 1 2

shed questions - brax71 - 01-09-2021

I'm starting the layout on shed to be built, but I'm not savvy on this kind of construction.  I've watched gobs of YouTube videos on shed-builds, but still have a couple questions as I think through the design:

1.  Square vs Rectangle?  Any non-cosmetic reason to 'not' use a square layout?  County allows 150 square feet without a permit, so I'd thought about 12x12 to maximize space and simplify the use of the sheet goods.  

2.  Sloped roof instead of peak/gable?  Single slope 'looks' easier -- is it just a cosmetic decision?  (central Florida, so no snow load worries
Wink )

3.  4x4 post corner-post connection to ground OK???  I looked at the prefab sheds you can have delivered (not the HD/Lowes kits that you assemble), and they are built on skids that just sit on the ground and then are separately anchored down - that doesn't seem like best option to me.  When I helped Dad, we sunk 4x4 corner posts several feet down and then suspended the floor structure to those...  good enough or is there something better???  (no interest/funds to pour a slab)

Rookie stuff, I know -- but everyone starts somewhere, right?

Andy

RE: shed questions - fredhargis - 01-09-2021

I'm hardly an expert, but I have built a few. The last 2 were on 4x4 posts sunk into the ground. The last one was 12x16, and I put 4 posts along the 16' sides. The disadvantage of this was it raised the floor height, so driving my lawnmower in took a ramp. It also leaves a space under the floor that small critters like to call home, at least if you live out in the country like we do. There's no reason I can think of to not build it square if you want. No opinion on the roof style, but I suspect the sloped roof will be just fine (functionally).

RE: shed questions - mdhills - 01-09-2021

I'd recommend planning the interior storage before finalizing the square/rectangle footprint.
Is there anything that would benefit from more than 12'?
How efficient is storage space vs. floor area?

The gabled vs. sloped roof is mostly architectural.
Our area also has height restrictions that might impact the design if against the property line.

What are you doing for ventilation?

Matt

RE: shed questions - Gary G™ - 01-09-2021

I’ve built a few.
In Florida, a hip roof offers the best protection against hurricanes.
It’s harder to build than a gable or shed.
In order: hip, gable, shed.

Frame it like a house with all the required tie-downs, clips and anchors. Otherwise, it’ll be similar to the crap they deliver on a pallet.
Those pre-built sheds don’t have the quality you can build for about 1/2 to 3/5 the cost.
Get a book or two from the library on construction and do it.
The first shed I built was 8’ X 16’ with a gable roof.
It’s about 23 years old and still tight and dry.

RE: shed questions - jteneyck - 01-09-2021

Property taxes here are higher if a shed has a permanent foundation, so I built both of mine on a crushed stone base.  They are solid and I've had no regrets with that choice.  

A shed roof on a 12' wide shed is going to make the one wall pretty high unless you plan to use metal roofing so you can limit the pitch.  A gable design looks far more attractive and isn't that hard to build, either using a ridge beam and rafters or trusses.  I made trusses to limit how much time I had to spend up in the air.  I made the walls on my main shed 8' tall; no way I wanted to duck as I got near the walls like on many skid mounted sheds.  

There are lots of plans out there you can download for nearly any size shed, and of course books.  Whether or not you need a permit you want to build it correctly.  

John

RE: shed questions - chrisntam - 01-10-2021

I have wire mesh or wire screening around the perimeter of my shed. Dug a shallow trench along the edges of the shed, buried the screening about 2” or 3” deep in the soil and stapled the upper part to my 1x4 trim. Prior to that, I would routinely get possums under it. Now I’m good.

RE: shed questions - R Clark - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 10:55 AM)chrisntam Wrote: I have wire mesh or wire screening around the perimeter of my shed. Dug a shallow trench along the edges of the shed, buried the screening about 2” or 3” deep in the soil and stapled the upper part to my 1x4 trim.  Prior to that, I would routinely get possums under it.  Now I’m good.

I've tried that around ours and been unsuccessful.  Right now, I think there is a groundhog under our shed (chicken coop).  There have been skunks and possums.  I've removed groundhogs before.  LOML is down to 2 hens, and says she's done as soon as these two are gone.  Once they're gone, it will be an all-out war on the varmints.  Chemical and kinetic weapons likely to be employed.

As to cost of building a shed, we got ours pre-made (TuffShed).  I ran the numbers when we bought it, and my cost was going to be well over 50% of just buying the TuffShed.  I was still working at that time, and time was tight.  LOML already had the chicks that were going to be out there, so quick construction was a necessity.

RE: shed questions - brax71 - 01-11-2021

Thanks all for the input! 
- I had no idea that there were specific guidelines for roof slope, so I've done a lot of reading about it -- didn't know what I didn't know. 
- The point about hardware cloth is well taken...  My My neighbor had skunks under his shed, so he used fox urine to deter the skunks, but he thinks that attracted coyotes which killed one of his chickens.  All could've been avoidable w/ a few dollars of mesh.
- Definitely want to build it right (proper clips/fasteners/etc) -- appreciate the pointers!
Andy

RE: shed questions - Robert Adams - 01-11-2021

On a small shed like that I like doing a 2x4 base supported by deck blocks that have been leveled. As for the part of the country that put 4x4 posts directly in the ground... Yeah no. 

For the roof I like a gambrel roof with the sides of the wall at 4-5' ish sometimes higher depends on how tall you want to go overall. Then the side of gambrel roof being longer than the top so it makes for a taller structure. I like this style as there is less siding to do as the roof generally holds up far longer than the siding of the building does.

RE: shed questions - rwe2156 - 01-12-2021

What you're planning will work fine.  Be sure to run some hardware cloth along the bottom to keep critters out.

A flat roof will work if you're using metal 2-3" slope per foot will work.

I would put plywood on the roof with felt, then metal.  This will give you a little soundproofing when it rains, plus, add another layer of leak security.