Woodnet Forums
Pandemic Chairs - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pandemic Chairs (/showthread.php?tid=7360036)

Pandemic Chairs - Tom Wiarda - 01-09-2021

I had more time than usual in my shop last year due to the shutdowns. The grandkids we usually look after several days a week stayed home for several months. I also had a large red oak tree that fell down in my woods that I wanted to make use of. So I made chairs. I counted 11 chairs I made in 2020 which is about double the usual number. In the picture you can about half of them. There is a sack back windsor and a child’s version of the same. Two right-handed writing arm windsors. One of Curtis Buchanan’s democratic chairs and Tim Manney’s side chair from FWW with a Danish Cord seat. The writing arm chairs are donations to two organizations I support: the Acton Institute in Grand Rapids and the Russell Kirk Center in Mecosta Michigan. 
[attachment=32153]
[attachment=32152]

RE: Pandemic Chairs - BpB123 - 01-09-2021

Those look GREAT!

Thanks for sharing

RE: Pandemic Chairs - R Clark - 01-09-2021

Great post!  Love those chairs.

RE: Pandemic Chairs - Martin S. - 01-10-2021

Nice chairs, Tom!

RE: Pandemic Chairs - briman87 - 01-11-2021

Wow those looks really nice I love the ones with the little desktop on them

RE: Pandemic Chairs - wood-chips - 01-11-2021

Nice chairs. That's a lot of dedication because all those chairs take a lot of time to build and get right.

RE: Pandemic Chairs - KyleD - 01-13-2021

Excellent craftsmanship. I would love to sit in and try out one of those writing chairs. The back looks so delicate but I imagine with continuous grain it is quite strong.

RE: Pandemic Chairs - Ron Brese - 01-13-2021

(01-09-2021, 05:24 PM)Tom Wiarda Wrote: I had more time than usual in my shop last year due to the shutdowns. The grandkids we usually look after several days a week stayed home for several months. I also had a large red oak tree that fell down in my woods that I wanted to make use of. So I made chairs. I counted 11 chairs I made in 2020 which is about double the usual number. In the picture you can about half of them. There is a sack back windsor and a child’s version of the same. Two right-handed writing arm windsors. One of Curtis Buchanan’s democratic chairs and Tim Manney’s side chair from FWW with a Danish Cord seat. The writing arm chairs are donations to two organizations I support: the Acton Institute in Grand Rapids and the Russell Kirk Center in Mecosta Michigan. 

You've made very good use of your time. Those are very nice.

Ron

RE: Pandemic Chairs - Tom Wiarda - 01-13-2021

(01-13-2021, 04:54 AM)KyleD Wrote: Excellent craftsmanship. I would love to sit in and try out one of those writing chairs. The back looks so delicate but I imagine with continuous grain it is quite strong.

There is some flex in the spindles but the back is plenty strong.

RE: Pandemic Chairs - gov.cheese - 01-17-2021

Wow. Beautiful work, Tom.