Woodnet Forums
Little dining table - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Little dining table (/showthread.php?tid=7360038)

Pages: 1 2

Little dining table - KC - 01-09-2021

44" round cherry table for the smallish dining room in the retirement house.  Legs splayed at 5 degrees, just shy of 1-7/8 with a 7/8 radius roundover on all four edges.  Looking back, I should have turned these with a bit of taper to he bottom, or used a 1" radius roundover.  Still look a bit too 'square' for me, even tho I intended to leave them square altogether at the beginning.  Top is something close to 1-1/8 thick, with 7/8 roundover above and chamfer below.  Attached with Rockler fasteners.  The apron profile is similar to Stickley side table I saw in Old House magazine (legs were square on that one).

I whipped up a prototype out of MDF to verify I liked the angles, and because I KNEW I'd screw up the compound miters on the legs if I didn't 'practice'.  That was time well spent. 
Laugh   

I'll be ordering #5 slatback chair kits from Shaker Workshops (their picture).  I think they'll go nicely with the 'simple' design of the table.   Thanks for taking a peek.

[attachment=32157]

[attachment=32158]

RE: Little dining table - Gary G™ - 01-09-2021

Nice table and no offense but—nice chair!

RE: Little dining table - jteneyck - 01-09-2021

No apologies need for the legs on that very stylish table.  I think they go really well with the overall design.  Nicely done.  

John

RE: Little dining table - fredhargis - 01-10-2021

Love it, looks like  building the prototype paid off!

RE: Little dining table - oakey - 01-10-2021

what every one has already said nice table
i also build a prototype of some projects usually just from scrap
seems to help me with decision making of sizes angles ETC
i have made table prototypes with four different size legs just to see what was liked best
that come out very nice for you

RE: Little dining table - BillinIN - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 08:21 AM)oakey Wrote: what every one has already said nice table
i also build a prototype of some projects usually just from scrap
seems to help me with decision making of sizes angles ETC
i have made table  prototypes with four different size legs just to see what was liked best
that come out very nice for you

Looks great as-is.  Nice job!

RE: Little dining table - R Clark - 01-10-2021

Really like that table.  Clean and comfortable-looking.

Also like the choice of ladderback chair.

RE: Little dining table - Martin S. - 01-10-2021

Nice table, KC.

Can you let us know about the quality of those chair kits?

RE: Little dining table - KC - 01-11-2021

(01-10-2021, 11:29 PM)Martin S. Wrote: Nice table, KC.

Can you let us know about the quality of those chair kits?

Thank you.  I'll do a thread about the chairs when they come, probably early next month.

RE: Little dining table - Willyou - 01-11-2021

Nice table. Beautiful work. I also like the choice of chairs. I'm not bothered by the legs. However, I'll make a suggestion in the event you decide to turn them. I would start the taper just below the skirt leaving the rounded square from there up. This would allow the rounded square to gradually transition to a round cross section as it goes to the bottom. This would also keep you from having to change any joinery you have to the table top.