Woodnet Forums
Workbench - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Workbench (/showthread.php?tid=7360161)

Workbench - Scouter - 01-14-2021

A few years ago I rebuilt my workbench, as part of it I added 1/2" holes on the side of the bench with the idea of attaching accessories that I need but don't have room for. My shop is small (16 x 20) so not much room for everything I'd like, like a router table. Yesterday I finally created a router table attachment, works beautifully.

Here is the table itself. I had some lexan sitting around from one of my son's old wheelchair tables. Provides a hard, smooth, non-flexible surface, and being able to see under it is kind of neat.

[Image: IMG_1476.png]

I mounted my Rigid trim router, plenty of power for what I need.

[Image: IMG_1477.png]

Here are the holes in the side of the bench. Next thought is for a lathe attachment.

[Image: IMG_1478.png]

RE: Workbench - DaveR1 - 01-14-2021

Cool idea. I like it. And a good example of saving things because some day they'll be useful.

RE: Workbench - Scouter - 01-14-2021

(01-14-2021, 10:11 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Cool idea. I like it. And a good example of saving things because some day they'll be useful.

Yeah, you have to be innovative when you're working in a small space. We live in a '50s house, I have no idea how they fit those big cars into this garage. When we bought the house I managed to pull my wife's Malibu in, but didn't have enough space to open both doors, and a 70's Malibu was a good deal smaller than a 50's anything. That's when we decided it would be my workshop (and laundry room).

I save everything, store it all in a shed outside. Told LOML that I need another shed.

RE: Workbench - Handplanesandmore - 01-14-2021

(01-14-2021, 10:11 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: And a good example of saving things because some day they'll be useful.

Medically, aka hoarding disorder! An illness particularly common among woodworkers. No known cure for it. Just ask Bandit571.
Winkgrin
Laugh

Simon

RE: Workbench - jteneyck - 01-14-2021

Very cool idea.  I've got to copy that.  Thanks very much for posting. 

John

(01-14-2021, 03:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Very cool idea.  I've got to copy that.  Thanks very much for posting. 

John

:thumbs:

RE: Workbench - iclark - 01-14-2021

(01-14-2021, 08:48 AM)Scouter Wrote: A few years ago I rebuilt my workbench, as part of it I added 1/2" holes on the side of the bench with the idea of attaching accessories that I need but don't have room for. My shop is small (16 x 20) so not much room for everything I'd like, like a router table. Yesterday I finally created a router table attachment, works beautifully.

Here is the table itself. I had some lexan sitting around from one of my son's old wheelchair tables. Provides a hard, smooth, non-flexible surface, and being able to see under it is kind of neat.

[Image: IMG_1476.png]

I mounted my Rigid trim router, plenty of power for what I need.

[Image: IMG_1477.png]

Here are the holes in the side of the bench. Next thought is for a lathe attachment.

[Image: IMG_1478.png]

Am I the only one who cannot see the pictures linked from pahiker.com?

RE: Workbench - Stwood_ - 01-14-2021

I see em.........

Looks good on the slide-out router.

Trim router shouldn't be heavy enough for it to sag. Does it flex down when applying pressure?

(01-14-2021, 06:27 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I see em.........

Looks good on the slide-out router.

Trim router shouldn't be heavy enough for it to sag. Does it flex down when applying pressure?

No, it doesn't But, I'm using 1/2" solid steel rod. I tried 3/8 threaded, that flexed a lot. I would go even larger, but 1/2 is the largest I can find (would have liked 3/4 to match the dogholes in the top).