Woodnet Forums
Now for the rest of the story - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Now for the rest of the story (/showthread.php?tid=7360226)

Pages: 1 2

Now for the rest of the story - tablesawtom - 01-16-2021

I bought some what I thought was Bolivian Rose from a cabinate shop out east, it was his left overs.  I never had a problem with the wood what so ever. Then I ordered some Bolivian rosewood from a wood dealer for Knobs and bang I had an allergic reaction to it. And then I found out that Bolivian rosewood is not a rosewood ( rosewood look alike) but a different species. Then I bought some East Indian rosewood and never had a problem of any kind. And since I never had any problems with the first wood I bought I figured I was okay since it was not Bolivian rosewood but actual rosewood. Boy did I find out how wrong I was when I started  doing the final sanding on the totes. 

Anyway I didn't have a problem until I started sanding and that was when I hade problems with making knobs, during the sanding portion of the build. This is what I have left and I will need to find someone to finish the final portion before finishing.

[attachment=32353]

Anyway I have 16 totes I need to get finished. Some of them are rough sanded with no problems but I am not planning on finding out personally  which ones are Bolivian and which ones are not. 

Anyway life is interesting.

Tom

RE: Now for the rest of the story - toolmiser - 01-16-2021

I won't volunteer for finishing duty (not a strong suit), but I must compliment you on how good that handles look.

RE: Now for the rest of the story - Timberwolf - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021, 12:42 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I bought some what I thought was Bolivian Rose from a cabinate shop out east, it was his left overs.  I never had a problem with the wood what so ever. Then I ordered some Bolivian rosewood from a wood dealer for Knobs and bang I had an allergic reaction to it. And then I found out that Bolivian rosewood is not a rosewood ( rosewood look alike) but a different species. Then I bought some East Indian rosewood and never had a problem of any kind. And since I never had any problems with the first wood I bought I figured I was okay since it was not Bolivian rosewood but actual rosewood. Boy did I find out how wrong I was when I started  doing the final sanding on the totes. 

Anyway I didn't have a problem until I started sanding and that was when I hade problems with making knobs, during the sanding portion of the build. This is what I have left and I will need to find someone to finish the final portion before finishing.

Anyway I have 16 totes I need to get finished. Some of them are rough sanded with no problems but I am not planning on finding out personally  which ones are Bolivian and which ones are not. 

Anyway life is interesting.

Tom
Beautiful work, Tom !!!!
Winkgrin

RE: Now for the rest of the story - Ray Newman - 01-16-2021

Nice looking totes! Will look better with an application or two, or three of finish. Wish I could do something like that. Again, nice work.

RE: Now for the rest of the story - Pedder - 01-17-2021

These are beautiful. sending them 2 times across the atlantic woul not only cost a fortune, but will leave us with a lot of trouble.

What aboput waitung for the spring, a day with light wind and a good respiration mask?

Cheers
Pedder

RE: Now for the rest of the story - tablesawtom - 01-17-2021

(01-17-2021, 03:38 AM)Pedder Wrote: These are beautiful. sending them 2 times across the atlantic woul not only cost a fortune, but will leave us with a lot of trouble.

What aboput waitung for the spring, a day with light wind and a good respiration mask?

Cheers
Pedder

I think dust on the skin causes problems too

Tom

RE: Now for the rest of the story - Pedder - 01-20-2021

Ah, I see.

Sorry to say, but maybe, the best use is to burn them?

Cheers
Pedder

RE: Now for the rest of the story - Philip1231 - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 04:32 AM)Pedder Wrote: Ah, I see.

Cheers
Pedder

Wait Wait: before you burn them: nitrile gloves and a tyvek suit if necessary. If you had a dust collection system with a HEPA filter, you could create your own glove box so to speak and capture most of the dust before it migrates to places it shouldn't. If you don't have a HEPA setup, I'd be cautious about re-circulating the allergen back into the air. Thats all I've got.

RE: Now for the rest of the story - stav - 01-20-2021

Also before burning, it might be worth a check to see if anyone on woodnet would be willing to final sand and finish them for you.  The cost for shipping both ways and a little waiting would be better than burning.

RE: Now for the rest of the story - tablesawtom - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 04:32 AM)Pedder Wrote: Ah, I see.

Cheers
Pedder
That isn't going to happen. I'll get someone to finish sanding for me.