Woodnet Forums
To those with short cyclones - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: To those with short cyclones (/showthread.php?tid=7360401)

To those with short cyclones - cpolubin - 01-23-2021

It's tax return time and this year I'm upgrading my dust collection. I've seen the comments that a short cyclone won't separate as efficiently as a taller cone.

For those who have a short cone, i.e. Jet JCDC, Laguna C Flux, Shop Fox W1869, etc., have you seen this as a problem? Does it mean that you empty the filter bag more often or is there more?

We can skip the posts that reiterate that the taller cyclone is better. I know that. I'm looking for hands on experience with the short cone models.

I have a one person 480 Sq ft shop. The collector will be attached to a Hammer A3-31, Sawstop PCS, 18" Rikon bandsaw and a Supermax 19-38 drum sander.

Thanks for your observations.

Cliff

RE: To those with short cyclones - Turner52 - 01-23-2021

I have a JDS 3 hp. Needed a short one when i bought it. Old shop was in the lower part of a barn. No problem there or sinced I moved. 6" pvc ducting most of the way. Stepped down to 4" as needed for hookups. Blast gates at all tools. One man shop.

RE: To those with short cyclones - dg152 - 01-23-2021

I don't pretend to be an expert in dust collection. I just knew that with a 15" planer, an 8" jointer, a 19" bandsaw and a SawStop I needed a bigger dust collector that would physically fit in my shop and do the job. After doing my research I ended up buying a Laguna C Flux 3. I don't believe it's one of the tall cyclones like what you're referring to. Given that, I rarely need to empty the air filter dust bag. The only time I've needed to do that was when I allowed the dust bin to over flow. The excess quickly ended up in the air filter dust bag. The only thing I don't like about this machine is it doesn't take long to fill the dust bin when I'm jointing and planing a bunch of wood.

RE: To those with short cyclones - lincmercguy - 01-23-2021

See my review of the CFLUX-2.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7360387

RE: To those with short cyclones - measure once cut remeasure - 01-24-2021

You are Unlikely to find someone who has owned both a long cone and a short cone to provide a comparison between the two. Once someone buys a cyclone, upgrades are unlikely
If height space is your major consideration, just go with the short cone and don't look back.
Plan on locating it where you can build an enclosure or partial enclosure around it. A corner in your shop maybe?

RE: To those with short cyclones - cpolubin - 01-24-2021

I'm not asking for someone to give a comparison between the two. I'm looking for people's experiences and the disadvantages or lack of same to determine whether they justify spending an extra $700 for the Oneida V-3000. If it's just a question of emptying the filter bag a little more often, that's one thing. If there are more issues, that may be something else entirely. That's why I was asking for people who have experience using a short cyclone.

Cliff

RE: To those with short cyclones - lincmercguy - 01-24-2021

"If there are more issues, that may be something else entirely. That's why I was asking for people who have experience using a short cyclone."

What other issues could occur with a short cyclone? I suppose the main collection catch has a limited size on the short cyclone. But I wouldn't want to have to deal with emptying a 55 gallon drum. I suppose if you wanted your DC piping to be overhead a short cyclone means the piping has to go higher than the cyclone's intake.

That's all I could really think of that's different. But then again, my previous DC was a Grizzly with a Wynn filter. While the Wynn worked fine, it had to be emptied often and the filter cleaned out each time, so the short cyclone has been a big step up for me. I have no regrets in my CFLUX-2. The pictures in the assembly instructions aren't great, but I got through it.

RE: To those with short cyclones - Mike 55 - 01-24-2021

(01-24-2021, 11:03 AM)cpolubin Wrote: I'm not asking for someone to give a comparison between the two. I'm looking for people's experiences and the disadvantages or lack of same to determine whether they justify spending an extra $700 for the Oneida V-3000. If it's just a question of emptying the filter bag a little more often, that's one thing. If there are more issues, that may be something else entirely. That's why I was asking for people who have experience using a short cyclone.

Cliff

I had a dust gorilla in my shop in PA. My suggestion would be to ask Oneida since they have the mini and V system. I've always found there advice to be 100% informative. They designed 2 systems for me and both of them really SUCKED!.
Laugh  In a good way. I have a garage shop and I'm really thinking about the mini. The dust deputy I have on my shop vac works but it's not a true dust collector. 

Good luck with your decision.

RE: To those with short cyclones - Dave Diaman - 01-25-2021

(01-23-2021, 01:00 PM)cpolubin Wrote: It's tax return time and this year I'm upgrading my dust collection. I've seen the comments that a short cyclone won't separate as efficiently as a taller cone.

For those who have a short cone, i.e. Jet JCDC, Laguna C Flux, Shop Fox W1869, etc., have you seen this as a problem? Does it mean that you empty the filter bag more often or is there more?

We can skip the posts that reiterate that the taller cyclone is better. I know that. I'm looking for hands on experience with the short cone models.

I have a one person 480 Sq ft shop. The collector will be attached to a Hammer A3-31, Sawstop PCS, 18" Rikon bandsaw and a Supermax 19-38 drum sander.

Thanks for your observations.

Cliff

I have a tall 3 Hp grizzly cyclone in my home shop and one of the new shorter body Powermatic 3 hp cyclones that services a CNC router in the commercial shop I run. There is no significant difference in the two that I can see. You may get marginally better separation with something like a clear view but given the volume of sawdust your average hobby shop produces you will probably never notice.

RE: To those with short cyclones - fall - 01-28-2021

I think it would be okay for everything except the sander as that is were all the fine dust would come in and that is were you will have troubles with a short cyclone compared to a long one.