Woodnet Forums
How many here use bench cookies? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How many here use bench cookies? (/showthread.php?tid=7360598)

Pages: 1 2

How many here use bench cookies? - stoppy - 01-31-2021

Had never heard of them until I saw them being used in a YouTube video.  Are they as slick as the guy in the video said they are?

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - museumguy - 01-31-2021

The only ones I have used are triangular in shape. They are Craftsman brand. I used them for a finishing project. They worked fantastically.

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - JohnnyEgo - 01-31-2021

My father gave me four packs of them when he gave up woodworking. They are useful, but not magical. They have a good amount of friction to them, and I probably use them most for elevating smallish to medium sized panels when edge routing. I also use them occasionally when staining and finishing to elevate pieces off the bench, however I am cautious in doing so because the rubber grip material has transfered to the piece on more than one occasion. I would consider them marginally more useful than blocks of scrap 2x4.

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - lift mechanic - 01-31-2021

I use them when applying finish to flat panels. It is nice to have the panel up off the bench to do the edge and top face. I wrap aluminum foil around them to keep the finish off them. Then move the panel to the triangle thingies to dry. Small blocks of wood would be just as good. Never used them for routing, but the rubber on them protect the wood from being scratched and have pretty good friction.

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - measure once cut remeasure - 01-31-2021

I bought a bag full of used hockey pucks at a garage sale for next to nothing. Used spray adhesive to attach pieces of antiskid drawer material on one side of each puck. They work fine, but i don't use them all that often.

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - tablesawtom - 01-31-2021

I bought a set and tried them out, then I sold them. I made a lot of painter triangles out of wood for next to nothing. Made a whole box full and use them  all the time.

Tom

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - Stwood_ - 01-31-2021

I got a set of the Rockler's as a gift from one of the guys here numerous years ago.
They are still in a box.........somewhere.......

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - Bill Wilson - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 12:49 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I bought a set and tried them out, then I sold them. I made a lot of painter triangles out of wood for next to nothing. Made a whole box full and use them  all the time.

Tom

I did the same thing, using a 2x4, ripped down to 1.5"x1.5"x1.75" long .  Cut points on one end.  They work great for finishing.  For sanding and routing I use one of those non-slip routing pads.

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - shoottmx - 01-31-2021

I bought a set years ago, by now the dust accumulation on them has to be voting age......

g

RE: How many here use bench cookies? - AHill - 01-31-2021

Are we talking about the Rockler Bench Cookie Plus?  I have a set of the original version and they work fine as long as you're not putting too much lateral pressure on them.  The surface they sit on (workbench) but be relatively clean and definitely dust free.  Same for your workpiece.  If you're going to sand one face of a board, then flip if over to sand another face, make sure you wipe off the sanded face.  If the grippy parts lose their grip, you can run water over them and blow off the residual water to restore their grip.

I think the Bench Cookie Plus accessories are interesting.  The risers might be useful for using a jig saw, but I can't think of much else they'd be useful for that be solved with your bench vises.  The finishing cones or whatever they call them seem unnecessary.  You can get 2.5x as many painter's pyramids for the same price.  The "point" on the finishing cones seems pretty blunt.  It might mar a glossy finish.  The think with the risers is you need 3/4" round bench dog holes. They won't work on square or 1" round bench dog holes (e.g. Sjobergs work benches).