Woodnet Forums
Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? (/showthread.php?tid=7360825)

Pages: 1 2

Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - JDuke - 02-10-2021

I have a 4volt Milwaukee cordless screwdriver that I really like for finesse tasks when an impact or drill would blow past a failure point, like putting a computer back together or putting a switch plate back on. 

The batteries are beginning to fail and replacements are cost prohibitive.

Any good recommendations on ones you like, I am primarily interested in ones that have a straight form rather than pistol grip.

Thanks
Duke

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Bill Wilson - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 11:30 AM)JDuke Wrote: I have a 4volt Milwaukee cordless screwdriver that I really like for finesse tasks when an impact or drill would blow past a failure point, like putting a computer back together or putting a switch plate back on. 

Any good recommendations on ones you like, I am primarily interested in ones that have a straight form rather than pistol grip.

Thanks
Duke

I got one of these as a gift a few years ago.  I don't use it much, but every time I do, I wonder why I don't use it more often.  It's gyroscopic, which I had never heard of and thought was a little gimmicky, at first.  But it really works well.

[Image: dewalt-electric-screwdrivers-dcf682n1-44_600.jpg]

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Aram - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 11:30 AM)JDuke Wrote: I have a 4volt Milwaukee cordless screwdriver that I really like for finesse tasks when an impact or drill would blow past a failure point, like putting a computer back together or putting a switch plate back on. 

Thanks
Duke

Just to put this out there, I have found these guys to be inexpensive and reliable for battery rebuilds. Might be worth asking for a quote.

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Shaun - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 12:55 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I got one of these as a gift a few years ago.  I don't use it much, but every time I do, I wonder why I don't use it more often.  It's gyroscopic, which I had never heard of and thought was a little gimmicky, at first.  But it really works well.

Same,  we use them to drive screws in to plastic as its easy to control speed and not melt the threads.  I am with you thinking it would be gimicky, but it works surprisingly well, it does take a short time to get used to the idea though.

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - JDuke - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 02:39 PM)Shaun Wrote: Same,  we use them to drive screws in to plastic as its easy to control speed and not melt the threads.  I am with you thinking it would be gimicky, but it works surprisingly well, it does take a short time to get used to the idea though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have put one of the dewalts in my Amazon basket, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  

As for. MTO, I have used them in the past for some dewalt 18v batteries and was thouroughly unimpressed with the longevity of the rebuild.  Maybe they have gotten better.

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Ray Newman - 02-10-2021

Check on Batteries Plus Bulbs. last year I found replacement batteries for a 20 year deWalt flashlight there.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Cooler - 02-11-2021

I recently got the Metabo screwdriver.  It comes with two batteries, a charger and one Phillips bit.  It has a light and that is handy.  Just $60.00.  Includes a nice case.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L78Y72J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not a substitute for a screwgun.  I doubt it can drive a drywall screw all the way home. 

But it is handy and fast for assembly work.

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - JDuke - 02-20-2021

(02-10-2021, 11:25 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Check on Batteries Plus Bulbs. last year I found replacement batteries for a 20 year deWalt flashlight there.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

Got the dewalt mentioned above, really like the variable speed based on gyroscope, it’s very intuitive

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Bill Wilson - 02-21-2021

Hope you like it.  It is very easy to use, once you get used to it.  I really should use mine more often.

RE: Low voltage cordless screwdriver? - Cooler - 02-22-2021

I use the Metabo on small wood screws that hold Blum hinges in place.  The clutch is very reliable and I never strip the screws. My battery-powered electric drill also has a clutch, but either it is not as repeatable or it does not go down to the low torque that these screws require, as it was resulting in stripped screw holes.