Woodnet Forums
Thinning lacquer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Thinning lacquer (/showthread.php?tid=7361067)

Pages: 1 2

Thinning lacquer - chizlr40 - 02-20-2021

I have watco lacquer brand new can I was attempting to thin it so I could wipe it on.when I added mineral sports it turn to a slimy,suspended cloud. After several days it appears to have disolved. Is it ok to use? I have always thinned lacquer to speed dry time and make it wipeable. It has been several years since I have used lacquer did they change the formula or something

RE: Thinning lacquer - fredhargis - 02-20-2021

I've never used MS, only lacquer thinner. I'm thinking you just used the wrong solvent, no idea what effect that may have. On the other hand, I haven't bought any lacquer in a while (I always used Watco) so I suppose it's possible they changed something. If they did the correct thinner should be on the label.

RE: Thinning lacquer - jcclark - 02-20-2021

Lacquer should be thinned with lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits.
that's two completely different chemicals.
I wouldn't trust it mixed together.

RE: Thinning lacquer - Roly - 02-20-2021

(02-20-2021, 09:18 AM)jcclark Wrote: Lacquer should be thinned with lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits.

Agreed, use lacquer retarder not MS.  I have a feeling the MS separated out of the lacquer and is in the bottom of the can.   If you mixed the whole can throw it out and start over.  I would not try to use on a project.    Roly

RE: Thinning lacquer - chizlr40 - 02-20-2021

Ok thanks,is lacquer thinner different than paint thinner? I only mixed a small batch so if need to get lacquer thinner I will

RE: Thinning lacquer - fredhargis - 02-20-2021

(02-20-2021, 09:59 AM)chizlr40 Wrote: Ok thanks,is lacquer thinner different than paint thinner? I only mixed a small batch so if need to get lacquer thinner I will

A huge difference. Lacquer thinner is a cocktail of solvents, mostly the more volatile ones like acetone, toluene, and a long list of other stuff.

RE: Thinning lacquer - Stwood_ - 02-20-2021

(02-20-2021, 09:18 AM)jcclark Wrote: Lacquer should be thinned with lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits.

+1

RE: Thinning lacquer - Cooler - 02-23-2021

I doubt that you can build any surface thickness by wiping on lacquer.  It is a "hot" solvent-based finish.  I suspect that after the first coat any additional coats will wipe away about as much finish as it adds. 

In any case, I would do some Internet research on the subject before trying it out on a nice project.

I have wipe oil-based poly successfully and I have a "hybrid" wipe/brush technique that builds a bit faster.  I have also wiped on Watco Danish oil.  It looks nice but does not seem very durable.  I used it on a walking cane and I reapply every few months.

RE: Thinning lacquer - Stwood_ - 02-24-2021

Brush-on lacquer is available, but I never tried brushing. I always spray lacquer.

RE: Thinning lacquer - Cooler - 02-24-2021

I used brush-on Deft lacquer for a high school woodshop project and I thought it turned out great.  You can still buy Deft brush on.  I tried it more recently for drawers because of the very quick dry times.  But the smell was offensive. 

I then used Sealcoat for the same reason.  It smelled for a bit while applying, but not for long. 

Then I went with the "Triple-thick Varathane".  One coat brush on did the trick.

Now I spray with water-based poly.  I will probably stick with this option.  It is fast, and does not smell bad, and dries quickly.

The Deft lacquer can be scuff sanded and you can get a good finish build.  You can also buff to a very high gloss.  You can do the same with shellac.  I'm not sure which is shinier or which is more durable.