Woodnet Forums
Dewalt 734 snipe after torsion box add on. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dewalt 734 snipe after torsion box add on. (/showthread.php?tid=7361121)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Dewalt 734 snipe after torsion box add on. - Stwood_ - 03-01-2021

After entering the infeed roller, the blades catch the wood wanting to raise the board up, which it will do as the infeed roller acts as a fulcrum.
When the board then enters the outfeed roller, it keeps the board down so the blades cannot pick the board up.
Same when exiting the cutterhead, the outfeed roller again acts as a fulcrum. The weight of the board raises the end and the cutters dig in.

So.....always....*always* slightly lift the board end you are holding when inserting a board, and always raise the end of the board *up* when it is exiting the planer, before it leaves the infeed roller.
Most all planers have this problem.

If I was to engineer a wood planer, it would have double rollers on each end.

RE: Dewalt 734 snipe after torsion box add on. - Scott W - 03-02-2021

(03-01-2021, 06:55 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: After entering the infeed roller, the blades catch the wood wanting to raise the board up, which it will do as the infeed roller acts as a fulcrum.
When the board then enters the outfeed roller, it keeps the board down so the blades cannot pick the board up.
Same when exiting the cutterhead, the outfeed roller again acts as a fulcrum. The weight of the board raises the end and the cutters dig in.

So.....always....*always* slightly lift the board end you are holding when inserting a board, and always raise the end of the board *up* when it is exiting the planer, before it leaves the infeed roller.
Most all planers have this problem.

If I was to engineer a wood planer, it would have double rollers on each end.

Thanks for all the replies.

RE: Dewalt 734 snipe after torsion box add on. - Pirate - 03-06-2021

Easy fix. Stationary planner! 
No snipe is just one of the advantages

RE: Dewalt 734 snipe after torsion box add on. - mdhills - 03-07-2021

(02-22-2021, 10:11 PM)Scott W Wrote: What gives?  I had front and rear snipe before...I added this melamine torsion box and, while the wood slides awesomely now, the snipe is still there.  Front and rear. 

What am I doing wrong?  I know if I use sacrificial stock before and after then I can get rid of it but that requires a degree of athleticism and coordination that I only aspire to.

Suggestions?

I expect it is the cutterhead moving as suggested by Phil.
I had this issue with the ridgid r4330.  It was not addressed by infeed/outfeed support and only helped by feeding the stock sequentially.

I believe the DW734 has a cutterhead lock. Are you using that and still seeing the snipe?
(If you are getting snipe with the lock set, I'd be looking to see if roller pressure can be adjusted to reduce the forces on the board)

Does depth of cut affect the snipe?   Length of workpiece?  Location on table (left/right/center)?

Are your blades sharp?

Matt