Woodnet Forums
Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw (/showthread.php?tid=7361254)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - Wild Turkey - 02-28-2021

Spent yesterday afternoon in the Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center.  Let my dado nibble on back of left ring and index fingers.  Lost nail bed on ring finger and a bit of tendon on index but two hours of doc's time and no loss of ability so i was lucky.

WW budget is about to take a hit.  Fescue and Number One Son (both in their 30's) are telling SWMBO about Sawstop so my vintage Unisaw may be on the market.

So for my information how good is the contractor model?  Is the fully loaded model worth the upgrade price?

72nd birthday coming up so I may get some $$$$ help.

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - Tapper - 02-28-2021

So sorry to hear of your accident! Best of luck for a speedy and complete recovery. The SS contractor saw gets good reviews online and in WW mags, at least the ones I've read. You can call Sawstop and they will fill you in on what might be the best option for you.

I have the PCS model and have enjoyed it for 10+ years now. It replaced a perfectly good Unisaw I had bought new several years earlier.

Doug

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - fredhargis - 03-01-2021

You've asked one of the questions that probably has a dozen+ answers...all correct. So here's mine: I went from a Unisaw to a SS and to me the upgrade to the cabinet model is well worth the cost. Having said that, I've never used the SS contractor saw and I'm sure it's an excellent quality, capable TS. But I went from a Delta contractor saw (also a quality, capable contractor saw) to the Uni and I can say I wouldn't want to go back. To be sure, my contractor saw did everything just as well as the Uni with the exception of the extra HP (tough cuts) and dust collection, but those reason alone are enough to justify the added cost.

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - CStan - 03-01-2021

Save your money. I'd keep the vintage Unisaw and make sure to never use bare hands to feed stock into it. Featherboards with push sticks and push shoes, and/or a stock feeder. Use a router for dadoes and rabbets - cuts a cleaner joint to boot.

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - thewalnutguy - 03-01-2021

I replaced my Unisaw with a cabinet model SS several years ago and I've never regretted making the switch. In addition to the auto-braking feature, the SS has quite a few advantages over the Unisaw. Dust collection is a lot better with the SS, and installing the splitter is tool-free and takes maybe 15 seconds. The only downside to the SS that I've found is the nuisance of having to swap brake modules when switching between 10 single blade and the dado set.  If space and money were not considerations, I'd had two SS table saws, one with 10 inch blade and the other with the dado set.

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - Handplanesandmore - 03-01-2021

How active will you see yourself as a woodworker in the next 5 years?

Active (as you define it)- the PCS, otherwise the contractor model.

Simon

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - Tapper - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 08:23 AM)CStan Wrote: Save your money.  I'd keep the vintage Unisaw and make sure to never use bare hands to feed stock into it.  Featherboards with push sticks and push shoes, and/or a stock feeder.  Use a router for dadoes and rabbets - cuts a cleaner joint to boot.

And then, in that moment of inattention.........

"Sawstop, when you absolutely, positively want to avoid any possibility of a catastrophic injury on your tablesaw."  

Money well spent IMO - would do it again in a heartbeat!

Doug

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - brianwelch - 03-01-2021

Sorry to hear about your accident, but pleased to hear that you were able to recover so well...It's a wake up call to the rest of us, regardless of our saw of choice, to make sure to pay attention at all times...

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - Handplanesandmore - 03-01-2021

We're human beings. 'nuff said.

Simon

Ps Sawstop should use my line in its ads. :-)
Laugh

RE: Sawstop contractor vs Unisaw - John Mihich - 03-01-2021

I looked the contractors saw - it's well built but I didn't want the stamped extension tables and the open dust collection.  Mine is coming on 3/31.  I too am 72 and I am making mistakes - touched the tip of a finger twice his past year - just hit the nail - no blood.  So I am lucky so far.  I am using my required min withdraw from one of my IRA's to do it.   I am buying the low end cabinet saw from Rockler - I think it's 3300 including shipping and taxes.  That's about a gran more than the contractor. 

This will be my first real TS.  I am replacing a Craftsman 1990's contractor. 

I am not getting the dado module.  I rarely use the TS for that.  I have all sorts of jigs for my router and I have 2 router tables.  I know the TS can be faster at times but I am not in a hurry any more.