Woodnet Forums
Everything on Backorder! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Everything on Backorder! (/showthread.php?tid=7361266)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Everything on Backorder! - Bill Wilson - 03-05-2021

I work for a small manufacturing company in PA.  Up until recently, we've had relatively few problems sourcing components for our products.  That is starting to change.  The long term affects of the pandemic and associated problems with component availability may just be starting to hit some industries.  It's likely that we've benefited from a pretty robust supply chain that was full a year ago and it has taken the past several months to dry up to the point where some components are now in very short supply.  

I fear that this is going to linger for a long time.  It may not adversely affect every product, across the board, but I think it's going to come in waves and we'll continue to see shortages of some items for the foreseeable future.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - TDKPE - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 10:03 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I work for a small manufacturing company in PA.  Up until recently, we've had relatively few problems sourcing components for our products.  That is starting to change.  The long term affects of the pandemic and associated problems with component availability may just be starting to hit some industries.  It's likely that we've benefited from a pretty robust supply chain that was full a year ago and it has taken the past several months to dry up to the point where some components are now in very short supply.  

I fear that this is going to linger for a long time.  It may not adversely affect every product, across the board, but I think it's going to come in waves and we'll continue to see shortages of some items for the foreseeable future.

I was just informed that a group of custom large-bore hydraulic cylinders that are on order will be delayed due to material availability.  Same is true of larger structural steel beams - what used to be readily available for as long as I can remember isn't even scheduled to be rolled until some time in April.  Gonna be interesting times ahead. 
Sad

RE: Everything on Backorder! - Bill Wilson - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 10:55 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I was just informed that a group of custom large-bore hydraulic cylinders that are on order will be delayed due to material availability.  Same is true of larger structural steel beams - what used to be readily available for as long as I can remember isn't even scheduled to be rolled until some time in April.  Gonna be interesting times ahead. 
Sad

Yep.  We've recently had a couple suppliers extending lead times for a few parts from a normal 2-4 weeks to as much as 12-14 weeks.  That kind of delay is pretty hard to absorb for most manufacturers.  It may only be a couple parts, but all it takes is one critical component to hold up completion of the finished item.  We're bracing ourselves for more of this, but there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - TRW - 03-09-2021

(03-02-2021, 04:01 AM)iclark Wrote: You don't say where you are. If there are any Woodcraft stores in your area, it could be worth calling them and asking if they have what you want in stock or if they can get a transfer from a store that does. I haven't been to our local WC since the turning club meetings went virtual, but it normally stocked a full line of the WR planes and I think that I remember seeing one of those sanders on the floor.

The check for whether an item is in stock at a particular store on the website should always be double checked by phone before making the drive.

The closest WC to me is in Springfield, MA which is a good 90 minute drive.  I will call and see if they have either the plane or sharpening jigs in stock.  I don't mind making the the drive.

The scary thing is Woodcraft took my money for the Jet sander and then sent me an e-mail a few days later telling me that they are no longer involved and to contact Jet for any status updates and oh, by the way, Jet says the sander is out of stock and will be on back order until March 5th, sucks to be you.....  Its now March 9th and I've not heard from either Jet or WC.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - TRW - 03-09-2021

Well, I received an update from WC today on the Jet sander which was heartening because at least bad news is better than no news.  The back-order date has now been pushed back to 15 May.  Ordered it on or around 31 December 2020.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - twons1365 - 03-09-2021

(02-28-2021, 06:50 PM)TRW Wrote: Ordered three things in the last three months that have all gone on long term backorder due  I'm sure to COVID. First was a Wood River 5- 1\2 plane. Initially Woodcraft told me early March and then changed that to early June. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Mad

Then they had a 10% sale on Jet power tools so I dropped a large amount on a 6 x 48 sander only to learn that it too would be on backorder until mid March. 
Mad

Now I have some sharpening tools on back order.

It seems everything I order from Woodcraft goes on backorder.

Anyone else suffering the same frustration?

Yes, Ordered a Bandsaw in February, page said it would ship in March.  After the order the ship date was May, now it's June.  Hope to have it by September.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - Kmucha16 - 03-11-2021

(03-09-2021, 03:24 PM)twons1365 Wrote: Yes, Ordered a Bandsaw in February, page said it would ship in March.  After the order the ship date was May, now it's June.  Hope to have it by September.

I ordered a Laguna 14BX 220V back in October from Rockler. I picked it up yesterday, 5 months of waiting. Haven't unpacked it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Kevin

RE: Everything on Backorder! - Admiral - 03-11-2021

(03-05-2021, 10:55 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I was just informed that a group of custom large-bore hydraulic cylinders that are on order will be delayed due to material availability.  Same is true of larger structural steel beams - what used to be readily available for as long as I can remember isn't even scheduled to be rolled until some time in April.  Gonna be interesting times ahead. 
Sad

Thats for sure.  Supply chains were extended before the pandemic, now it's becoming a systemic extension, I see it in the telecom business where I work.  I'm watching the stock market apparently betting that with the vaccine things will pick up rapidly, but I'm not so sure, as supply chains take a long time to deteriorate, and a long time to recalibrate.  So the economic growth being projected for the US, 6%, might very well be more of a wish than reality.  Restaurants, bars and gyms don't dent the durable goods market.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - thewalnutguy - 03-12-2021

I ordered the WildRiver miter gauge from Woodcraft a few weeks ago, it was delivered within a week.

RE: Everything on Backorder! - TRW - 04-05-2021

Update:

Wood River 5-1/2 plane still on back order with a June fill date.

Same for the Jet 6 x 48 sander.

Got the Veritas honing guides a few days ago..

One down, two to go!