Woodnet Forums
Tormek T-8 Question. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tormek T-8 Question. (/showthread.php?tid=7361534)

Tormek T-8 Question. - dawoodguy - 03-13-2021

Can you or is it advisable to flatten the back of a chisel on the side of the T-8 wheel.
Thanks
Ray

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - Philip1231 - 03-13-2021

Well I have an earlier version of the Tormek and tried that once: never again. It may be I lacked the skill necessary, but it did not turn out well.

(03-13-2021, 04:07 PM)dawoodguy Wrote: Can you or is it advisable to flatten the back of a chisel on the side of the T-8 wheel.
Thanks
Ray

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - fredhargis - 03-13-2021

They suggest you do that in their book, as I recall. I have no idea how well that works.

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - Handplanesandmore - 03-13-2021

If you plan to do that, try it first with a chisel that you don't mind ruining. It's doable for those who have developed the skill, but I did mine on flat stones, which is a much safer bet. Check out the highland woodworking video on flattening the back.

Simon

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - R Clark - 03-13-2021

I have the Jet 10" clone. I've done it, both on a chisel and an old plane blade.  I didn't know that Tormek said this could be done.  I just saw that flat side and wondered, so I tried it.

As for chisels, I think they have to be wide, otherwise you don't have enough of a purchase on it to keep it flat.

The chisels and plane blade I've done it with have been reclamation jobs.  

It's a two-handed process.  One to hold the work piece, the other to press the work piece flat onto the side of the wheel.

Any imperfections in the side of the wheel are going to be noticeable.  There's effective way to flatten/true the side like there is for the prime sharpening surface.

It's not my preferred way of flattening a back.  Preferred method is 60 grit cloth-backed paper stuck flat to the wing of my table saw.

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - dawoodguy - 03-13-2021

Thanks for all of your reply's & insight. I truly appreciate it. :-)

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - Timberwolf - 03-20-2021

(03-13-2021, 04:07 PM)dawoodguy Wrote: Can you or is it advisable to flatten the back of a chisel on the side of the T-8 wheel.
Thanks
Ray

I do it but it does take some skill..MUCH easier if you start and stop the motor using a footswitch...Frees up both hands to hold the tool.... the back is placed against the side of the wheel before starting the motor...and motor is stopped before the tool is removed..it's when you have the motor running before you place the tool against the wheel that the problems occur. A good footswitch is your best friend in the woodshop...good for drilling, routing, and many other applications that require two hands to hold the tool steady....It can be an enemy as well...A switch that is enclosed so it cannot be accidentally tripped is by far the best type...Build a small box to enclose it if necessary...stay safe...

RE: Tormek T-8 Question. - bjc68speed - 03-21-2021

They make this attachment for sharpening on theside of the wheel. I don't own one and it does say diamond wheel. Like others I have large DMT stones I use for flattening. I do really like my Tormek, especially for my turning tools.