Woodnet Forums
New turner - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: New turner (/showthread.php?tid=7361582)

New turner - Mbresch - 03-15-2021

I’m new to turning.  I bought an old lathe for $65.00 just to see if I would like it.  I’ve turned a few items that aren’t really anything yet just playing. I’ve put a few pics in here wondering how you drill holes if you can’t change the tail stock center? Do you just use a a drill in a vise or even a drill with the wood turning on the lathe?

RE: New turner - SceneryMaker - 03-15-2021

First, welcome to the vortex, where everything that matters spins around.

If the drill bit is a small diameter, you can put the bit in a Jacobs chuck and just hold it in your hand. This obviously gets more difficult and dangerous as the bit diameter gets larger.

RE: New turner - Bill Holt - 03-16-2021

Hand held.  I know a few turnners who have epoxyed handels to the drill bits they use regularly.  Personally I would not be comfortable holding a 1/2" drill bit by hand, but 3/8" is no sweat.  For me, the important thing, is to cut a divit before you try to drill.

RE: New turner - iclark - 03-16-2021

Welcome to WoodNet.  

A center drill in a handle or chuck is a good way to provide the initial lead/divot for drilling.

The obvious question is: what the design is for the lathe that you have to get anything out of the tailstock?

RE: New turner - bob-t - 03-16-2021

(03-15-2021, 08:18 PM)Mbresch Wrote: I’m new to turning.  I bought an old lathe for $65.00 just to see if I would like it.  I’ve turned a few items that aren’t really anything yet just playing. I’ve put a few pics in here wondering how you drill holes if you can’t change the tail stock center? Do you just use a a drill in a vise or even a drill with the wood turning on the lathe?

I am thinking  that the tip on the threaded rod may be able to be remove, (set screw or screwed on??)   If so you may be able to put a drill chuck on in its place.
Just a though.
\Bob

RE: New turner - RustyN - 03-17-2021

Look at the Oneway Drill Wizard it might be what you need.