Woodnet Forums
Bench Vise Rehab - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bench Vise Rehab (/showthread.php?tid=7361602)

Pages: 1 2

Bench Vise Rehab - Philip1231 - 03-16-2021

A Craftsman Bench Vise, circa early 1960's. It was in need of some TLC:

[attachment=34177]

After a surprising amount of time and work, here is the finished product:

[attachment=34178]

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - fredhargis - 03-16-2021

Wow, really well done...love the detail work!

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - Bob10 - 03-17-2021

(03-16-2021, 03:09 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: A Craftsman Bench Vise, circa early 1960's. It was in need of some TLC:

After a surprising amount of time and work, here is the finished product:

If you look up the number on the other side I believe that is a Columbian vise made for Craftsman.  
I have had several may even have a few now.

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - R Clark - 03-17-2021

That's cool.  What did you do to rehab it?

I have an old red vise, probably the same size.  I think I got it from my dad; he didn't use it much, but it was always there, in the garage.  I've had it for 13-14 years.  I put it on a mounting plate that is clamped in a face vise on my Sjobergs workbench.  I use it a surprising amount; it's almost a permanent fixture right where it is.

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - Philip1231 - 03-17-2021

Fred: Thanks much!

Bob: Interesting: I will have to check on the model number. Thanks!

Wxman: Ha, this was my Dad's vise and its the one I grew up with: a family heirloom! Rehab consists mainly of sandblasting and priming/painting the painted parts and cleaning/polishing the shiny parts. It was a bit of a process: started in late January, which is not the best time to be spray painting in Connecticut. I know it looks like a Saturday afternoon project, but it does take some significant time to get it right.

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - wood-chips - 03-19-2021

Very nice rehab. The color looks sharp especially with the white lettering.

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - arnman - 03-20-2021

The vise looks great, and I really like the red color. Can you let us know which color that is?

I have tried to paint things "red" before, and unfortunately my selection of "red" has never been the right one...

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - Philip1231 - 03-21-2021

Thanks! The lettering was done freehand, so its looks slightly cartoonish, but I think it adds some character.

(03-19-2021, 01:34 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Very nice rehab. The color looks sharp especially with the white lettering.

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - Philip1231 - 03-21-2021

I searched the web for the color that matched Craftsman Red and came up with a recommendation for this Rustoleum Regal Red. A little less bright, one might say a little more regal
Cool

(03-20-2021, 08:52 AM)arnman Wrote: The vise looks great, and I really like the red color.  Can you let us know which color that is?

I have tried to paint things "red" before, and unfortunately my selection of "red" has never been the right one...

RE: Bench Vise Rehab - Ron Brese - 03-21-2021

(03-16-2021, 03:09 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I just love a good bench vise redo. Good on ya.